cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rachoksh Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sharepoint usage

How can I find unused SharePoint online site collections that have been abandoned for more than 6 months?

Can O365 Content pack for Power BI help me with this?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Frequent Visitor

rachoksh

How can I use O365 Content Pack for Power BI to find unused SharePoint Online site collections that have been abandoned for more than 6 months?

Thanks

Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Re: Sharepoint usage

@rachoksh,

You can use the PBIT file of O365 adoption Content Pack in Power BI Desktop, then calculate the count of sites that have been abandoned for more than 6 months by evaluating the date field in SharePoint site tables.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Frequent Visitor

I downloaded the Power BI Desktop and installed it. I was also able to use my tenant ID to make the connection. Can you please help me with steps to find the unused sites? Thanks

Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

@rachoksh,

Create measure using the DAX below and check if it returns your expected result.

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM('TenantSharePoint-Usage'[TotalSites]), FILTER('TenantSharePoint-Usage', (TODAY()-'TenantSharePoint-Usage'[ContentDate])>180))

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Frequent Visitor

Unfortunaltely, I am new user but opened file Office365 Adoption_PublicPreview05222017.pbit in PowerBI Desktop and entered my Azure AD GUID. But still needs steps to create the new measure/report using the query you suggested.

Thanks

Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

@rachoksh,

Right click the 'TenantSharePoint-Usage' table in Fields panel and select “New measure”, and add the following DAX.

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM('TenantSharePoint-Usage'[TotalSites]), FILTER('TenantSharePoint-Usage', (TODAY()-'TenantSharePoint-Usage'[ContentDate])>180))

1.PNG2.PNG

Regards,

Frequent Visitor

I get the same results even after changing the number from 180 to 7 or 360. I know for sure I have some sites that have not been used in months.

PBI_report.png

Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

@rachoksh,

Create a measure using the DAX below to check the minimum date in your table, maybe the minimum date is within 7/180 days.

MinDate = MIN('TenantSharePoint-Usage'[ContentDate])

Regards,
Lydia

Frequent Visitor

Still the same output - Smiley Sad

PBI_report2.png