Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rachoksh
Regular Visitor

Sharepoint usage

How can I find unused SharePoint online site collections that have been abandoned for more than 6 months?

Can O365 Content pack for Power BI help me with this?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@rachoksh,

You can use the PBIT file of O365 adoption Content Pack in Power BI Desktop, then calculate the count of sites that have been abandoned for more than 6 months by evaluating the date field in SharePoint site tables.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I downloaded the Power BI Desktop and installed it. I was also able to use my tenant ID to make the connection. Can you please help me with steps to find the unused sites? Thanks

@rachoksh,

Create measure using the DAX below and check if it returns your expected result.

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM('TenantSharePoint-Usage'[TotalSites]), FILTER('TenantSharePoint-Usage', (TODAY()-'TenantSharePoint-Usage'[ContentDate])>180))

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Unfortunaltely, I am new user but opened file Office365 Adoption_PublicPreview05222017.pbit in PowerBI Desktop and entered my Azure AD GUID. But still needs steps to create the new measure/report using the query you suggested.

Thanks

@rachoksh,

Right click the 'TenantSharePoint-Usage' table in Fields panel and select “New measure”, and add the following DAX.

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM('TenantSharePoint-Usage'[TotalSites]), FILTER('TenantSharePoint-Usage', (TODAY()-'TenantSharePoint-Usage'[ContentDate])>180))

1.PNG2.PNG

Regards,

I get the same results even after changing the number from 180 to 7 or 360. I know for sure I have some sites that have not been used in months.

PBI_report.png

@rachoksh,

Create a measure using the DAX below to check the minimum date in your table, maybe the minimum date is within 7/180 days.

MinDate = MIN('TenantSharePoint-Usage'[ContentDate])

Regards,
Lydia

Still the same output - Smiley Sad

PBI_report2.png

@rachoksh,

What is the result does the measure return?

Regards,
Lydia

How do I get result for just his measure? Sorry for the delay.

@rachoksh,

Drag the measure to a Card visual.

Regards,

rachoksh
Regular Visitor

How can I use O365 Content Pack for Power BI to find unused SharePoint Online site collections that have been abandoned for more than 6 months?

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors