cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Virtual_Ames Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Sharepoint survey to SQL? To set up a backend for PowerBI?

Hello Community, 

This is a help wanted note - does anyone know "the best way"/"a good way" to get complex Sharepoint Survey data into SQL? 

Here is the situation.  

I have created a dashboard and report in PowerBI that pulls Sharepoint Survey data.  This is an intricate survey with lots of multi-select options, so the data model is complex - but it works well. 

The next step is to integrate this data with other sources and create time series visualizations - so I am moving my data to SQL (as PowerBI will not scale as needed).

However, getting this data to SQL seems less intuitive than intially thought.  Does anyone have experience pulling Sharepoint List data (think - 50 columns, half of which are record fields which require expanding).  

One indirect option would be to pull the data into Excel, do the transforms there and then connect this to SQL - but there has to be a more direct route?

Someone else must have solved this, or perhaps I am missing some cool approach? 

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Moderator v-qiuyu-msft

Re: Sharepoint survey to SQL? To set up a backend for PowerBI?

Hi @Virtual_Ames,

According to your description, it seems that you want to import SharePoint list data to SQL database, right?

Based on my research, you can create a SSIS package and use SharePoint List Adapter to retrieve SharePoint list data to SQL Server database. For more information, please refer to this article: Extracting and Loading SharePoint Data in SQL Server Integration Services .

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Moderator v-qiuyu-msft

Re: Sharepoint survey to SQL? To set up a backend for PowerBI?

Hi @Virtual_Ames,

According to your description, it seems that you want to import SharePoint list data to SQL database, right?

Based on my research, you can create a SSIS package and use SharePoint List Adapter to retrieve SharePoint list data to SQL Server database. For more information, please refer to this article: Extracting and Loading SharePoint Data in SQL Server Integration Services .

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Ask Amanda Anything Q&A

Ask Amanda Anything Q&A

Learn the answers to some of the questions asked during the Amanda Triple A event.

October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 370 members 3,397 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: