Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sharepoint Folder - Accessing an external sharepoint (not owned by my company)

Hi, let's see if someone can help me handle this issue. 

I am trying to access a sharepoint folder located in my client's account. I have been granted access and I can see the folders in the web browser. However, I cannot make it happen to get data from the sharepoint folder with Power Query or Power BI. To make it more private I will use the example of this post, which is actually the same.  

I have tried: 

1) to directly point the folder:  https://powerbipanama.sharepoint.com/sites/externalsales/

2) to point the sharepoint: https://powerbipanama.sharepoint.com

With the following error message: "We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided. Please try again."

I use my companies credentials which is a office 365 account.  Is it maybe that I do not have the proper credential granted to access my client's sharepoint? What are the credential I should have?

I need to access my client's files, the Sharepoint is my first idea if we can make it happen.

Thanks in advance! 

8 REPLIES 8
P_B
Frequent Visitor

Hi There, 

Were you able to find a solution to accessing the clients data in power bi when you don't have same domain credential. I am in the situtaion and curious to know if you were able to resolve it or find an alternate. 

Thank you ! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, i'm afraid not. In the end i always try to get a client's user so to do my job. 

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

You are able to access https://<site address>/sites/<sitename>/ in web Browser, right? If so,  do you use Microsoft account authentication in Power BI Desktop and do you choose the last level as shown in the screenshot below?

1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, exactly like that.

I can see the files inside the sharepoint through a web browser but I cannot acess with power bi get data. I have no idea what is the problem. Any idea?

Sharepoint.PNG

link2.jpg

@Anonymous,

Are you in same domain as your client?

Have you checked that if you are actually using the correct account in Power BI Desktop to sign in SharePoint? Please verify if other account and account password is cached in your web browser.

1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuezhe-msft

Thanks for your help Lydia. 

I don't fully understand the domain thing. I am using my company account which uses a different domain (@mycompany) of my client (@differentcompany). Do you infer that I should log in into my client's VPN or something?I don't need it to log in my client's sharepoint with webrowser. 

I access my client's sharepoint with the web browser using my company's account (pic1). I've logged out and in to check if It was something about a previous session or cache store passwords. 

In PowerBI, when getting data from the sharepoint folder I also log in with my company's account (pic2).  Same error message:  "We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided. Please try again."

Could it be related to the access i have been granted to the sharepoint? In that case, which kinf of access I shall be granted? Any other idea on how to solve it?

Pic1

SharepointAccess.jpg

Pic2

PBIAccess.jpg

@Anonymous,

Based on my test, the above error occurs due to that you and your client are not in a same domain. When sharing SharePoint online site to internal user, the user is able to connect to SharePoint site in Power BI Desktop.

Regards,
Lydia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Lydia.

This is a functionality that some people, like me, needs. Is there any other way to share files that can be accessed with power bi?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors