Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tkboisvert
Helper II
Helper II

SharePoint online to PowerBI- incorrect permissions?

I have a few files I'd like to distribute to other members of my team. They live inside documents Apps in the root of our share point. I can see them (When I go Get data > Share point ) and another member can see them, but Everyone else gets stuck 'connecting' to share point. 

I'm fairly certian it's a permissions problem, but I can't seem to get the combination right. Does anyone know exactally which permissions need to flipped on, or if this is a different problem I need to resole?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Again, looks like I was wrong. A user can have no O365 licences, and just have permissions to a folder or file in sharepoint and still access the SP in PBI.

I have spoken with Power BI, to connect to SharePoint Online from inside PBI, a user must have a licence to use SharePoint.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
norahfox
Advocate III
Advocate III

Have you figured out what is up with this? I've been completely unable to access SharePoint files with the eternal "Connecting..." message as well.

I think it's more of a licensing issue actually. I've been trying to do some testing, however there is a huge time delay on it.

It seems that users with Office 365 Licenses have access to it after 30 mins - 24 hours.

Users without Office 35 Licenses get the 'Connecting' problem.

It's very difficult to trouble shoot because of the time it takes to go from one scenario to the next.

If you have a user without a license and you assign it one, it could take up to two days to actually get access to SP.

It works the other way as well. So if you remove a license from a user, It still has access to the SP for a while. I'm trying to see if any files you bring through while you have access to the SP are still accessible even after you cant access the SP.

Edit: My suspiscions have been are looking more correct. A Office 365 License includes a licence to SharePoint.

You can however get SP only licences for like CAD $6.10. So that's good.

Untitled.png

Again, looks like I was wrong. A user can have no O365 licences, and just have permissions to a folder or file in sharepoint and still access the SP in PBI.

I have spoken with Power BI, to connect to SharePoint Online from inside PBI, a user must have a licence to use SharePoint.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors