Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SharePoint Online List 2.0 (beta)

In Power BI using the SharePoint Online List 2.0 (beta) connector, how can I extract just the last change from a "Notes" field that is set with "Append changes to existing text"?  The field contains a url like "<a href=""https://...sharepoint.com/sites/.../_layouts/15/listform.aspx?ListId=%7B6DEE6792%2D3287%2D4F8A%2D984C%2DA256D50A6E4D%7D&PageType=4&ID=3"">View Entries</a>".

The issue we have is that using the SharePoint Online List 1.0 connector or the ODATA connector the field in the data table is sometimes null.  If we update the "Notes" field in SharePoint then the last changed text in the "Notes" field is retrieved into PBI on the next refresh.  If we update a different field in SharePoint then the "Notes" field will be null in PBI on the next refresh.  I see the same behavior if we export directly from SharePoint into Excel.  The field in Excel will be null sometimes.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply.  I've never used try and otherwise in M but will check into it.  I don't see how it would work though as we don't get any errors.  There is data in the SP field but the 1.0 connector just doesn't retrieve the data without any errors.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We currently use the 1.0 connector.  After a user makes a change in SH to a field other than the Notes field, our work around for this issue is that the user must always go back in SP, edit the Notes field, copy the last change, enter it and save it.  This works but is an extra step that wastes time and sometimes they forget to do it.

I thought that as the 2.0 connector always has the url in it, we may be able to use it so the work around would not be needed.  But I haven't been able to extract the text using the url.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Yes, I would go for the ODATA or Sharepoint API route.  You can catch the empties in your Power Query via try ... otherwise ...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors