Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nmj40
Regular Visitor

Setting up a PowerBI Gatewat Data Source and choosing FILE or FOLDER

Setting up a PowerBI Gatewat Data Source and choosing FILE or FOLDER
Does anyone know if it is possible to use \\server\share instead of local drive such as C:\whatever ? 

or does this Gateway software only allow connections to the local server where it is installed?  

I want to find a way to connect to an internal fileserver share and pick up files.    

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect.

Details: "We could not register this data source for any gateway instances within this cluster.

Please find more details below about specific errors for each gateway instance. "

Hide details Activity ID: a7cexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Request ID: 748xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cluster URI: https://wabi-north-europe-redirect.analysis.windows.net

Status code: 400

Error Code: DMTS_PublishDatasourceToClusterErrorCode

Time: Tue Oct 23 2018 10:15:35 GMT+0200 (Central European Summer Time)

Version: 13.0.7055.182

PowerBIGatewayEU: Cannot connect to the mashup data source.

See error details for more information.

Underlying error code: -2147467259

Underlying error message: An IO error occurred while trying to access the file '\\xxxxxxxxxx\xxxx'. DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult: -2147467259

Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason: DataSource.Error

I can browse the internal location from the Gateway server. Not a DNS, port, FW issue!

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@nmj40,

It is possible to use network path  \\server\share instead of local drive such as C:\. I have no issues adding such Excel data source within gateway.
1.PNG

What account do you use? Do you use Domain\username account format?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yes - using a domain\username which has local admin on all servers.

We are actually trying to configure an Azure Logic App to connect to the internal fileshare and pick up files.

We have successfully configured an Azure "On-Premises Data Gateway" connection with our PowerBI Gateway server.
(PowerBI Gateway has 20+ data sources already setup for various SQL connection etc.. and works perfectly!)

We have also successfully configured the Azure Logic App to use the Azure "On-Premises Data Gateway" which as explained

above uses the PowerBI Gateway on premises.

But we get an error in the Logic App:

{
"status": 400,
"message": "The requested action could not be completed. Check your request parameters to make sure the path '' exists on your file system.\r\nclientRequestId: 9df835e9-8e8a-4f6c-b332-dd87f0925b6a",
"source": "filesystem-ne.azconn-ne.p.azurewebsites.net"
}

At the moment, we think the problem is that we are not using the same domain user account that installed\setup the Power BI Gateway (on premises) to configure the Azure "On-Premises Data Gateway. 

Finally - if we choose the "Folder" option in the Power BI Gateway Data Source - will that monitor a particular folder for all files?
or do we need to use the "Files" option that you have shown in your screenshot?

Nathan

nmj40
Regular Visitor

pbi.PNG

This is the error I get when I try to setup the new data source in powerbi.com

The share is correct and I can open that share from the Gateway server to the File Server.

nmj40
Regular Visitor

Please can you tell me what port(s) are required for the Power BI Gateway server to connect to internal file share on internal server??

All the ports are opened for the Power BI Gateway server to connect outbound to Azure Service Bus and we have many connections extracting internal data from SQL servers (1433) successfully,  but what is needed for PowerBI Gateway server to read xls files on an internal \\server\share ?

Thanks

@nmj40,

Power BI gateway only requires outbound ports to connect to Azure Service bus, it doesn't require any inbound ports. And I don't think your issue is related to port.

In your scenario, you can use Folder connector or File connector within the gateway. Do you use a network share path?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors