Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jridener

ServiceNow connector reads only open incidents

Using the ServiceNow connector here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/explore-your-servicenow-data-with-power-bi/ I'm able to create a dashboard with ServiceNow open incidents only. Recently resolved, recently closed, and incident alerts all have (Blank) values. 

I've tried recreating the dashboard a few times, always with the same results. The ServiceNow account I'm using has API access privileges. 

I'm working on the O365 PowerBI, not on-premises.

Any ideas about how I can investigate/troubleshoot why only open incidents are populating the dashboard?  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jridener,

From official article, I haven’t found anything else expect the following requirements when connecting to ServiceNow. However, you are able to view part data of incidents, I would recommend you check if some permissions of your account is restricted in  ServiceNow.

- An account that can access yourorganization.service-now.com with Basic authentication (Single Sign-On is not supported in this version)

- The account must have rest_service role and read access to incident table

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hello @jridener 

I'm Anton from Alpha Serve.

I’d like to propose and alternative solution for you, you might want to try out our app - Power BI Connector for ServiceNow:

We have a handy User and Admin Guides for your convenience, but feel free to reach out support team at support@alpha-serve.com if you need any assistance.

Thank you.

Regards,

Anton

===
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jridener,

Do you perform the steps in this article to connect to ServicesNow from Power BI? I would recommend you check the following things.

1. Make sure that you  have rest_service role and read access to incident table. And work with your ServiceNow admin to check if you need to have any additional permissions for your custom instance.
2. Specify different number of incidents and different number of days during connection and check the dashboard.
3. Based on Theresa’s comment in this blog, the issue could also occur when the instance is “fallen asleep”, in your scenario, please make sure the instance is online before connecting to it.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

Thanks for the quick feedback!

I have confirmed the rest_service role and access to the incident table with the ServiceNow admin as well as made changes to the number of incidents and days for the connection.

I will follow up with our SN admin on waking up the SN instance before testing as we're also on a dev SN instance at the moment.

Thanks,

John

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

I wanted to follow up with the current results of this question.

I was able to connect Power BI to include recently resolved and closed incidents by adding the admin role to the account I'm using to read in data from ServiceNow. 

Our ServiceNow admin would prefer to not have a second admin account just for PowerBi. Are you aware of specific permissions that besides the rest_service role and access to the incident table that might be available in an admin account that Power BI requires?

Thanks,

John

Hi @jridener,

From official article, I haven’t found anything else expect the following requirements when connecting to ServiceNow. However, you are able to view part data of incidents, I would recommend you check if some permissions of your account is restricted in  ServiceNow.

- An account that can access yourorganization.service-now.com with Basic authentication (Single Sign-On is not supported in this version)

- The account must have rest_service role and read access to incident table

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Good Day!! I saw your answer about the ServiceNow integration, and you said that you transfer the data from ServiceNow into your SQL Server database. I’m trying to create my own dashboards with the information from ServiceNow but im using the Excel files that I download from the app, Can you please explain me how can i connect my ServiceNow with my SQL Server database in order to get the info from my SQL DB instead of Excel files? Based on your experience which one it’s the best way of obtain the info from Service now? my boss doesn’t like the  Power BI content pack for ServiceNow incidents dashboard and he want to create a personalized view.

Thanks a lot for your help

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

You can connect to ServiceNow database using Servicenow ODBC drivers. The ServiceNow ODBC driver allows an ODBC client to connect to the ServiceNow platform and get data from servicenow. We need to have atleast read only access to the Servicenow DB.

Also by using ETL(SSIS) we can get data from servicenow to SQL server DB through servicenow ODBC drivers. Tables like Incident, sc_req_items, Sc_task, Sc_Request, Change_Request, CMDB_CI etc., And then you can create personalised views or tabular model on top of it.

For more info on ServiceNow driver details/Installation - Click here

Regards,

Surya Temkar

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors