Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Separate Date and Time From Timestamp in Calculated Column

I apologize in advance if this question has been aked before, but I've looked around and can't find the anwser that quite addresses my issue...

I have a table in a tabula model with several datetime columns. What I need to do is "parse" those columns. For example, I have a column called "DepartureDateTime".  I've created two additional columns - DateDeparture and TimeDeparture. I'd like to split the main column into those two columns. Both respectively need to be a time and a date.

Thanks in advance!

12 REPLIES 12
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

If you want to create calculated columns, try this:

Date = [DateTime]
Time = FORMAT([DateTime],"hh:mm:ss")

DateTime.gif

If you want to create custom columns, try this:

Date = Date.From([DateTime])
Time = Time.From([DateTime])

DateTime-pq.gif

Best regards

Icey

If this post helps, then consider Accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster.

Thank you for this great visual answer. Makes it much easier to understand quickly. Thank you. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, but I'm not doing this directly in Power Query/Power BI. I'm creating a tabular model in Visual Studio, so the process to create those columns don't exactly translate. M is how those expressions are written, the steps aren't the same.

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

OK so going back to PQ, if you start with this

Source = #"SQL/azsds001d database windows net;EDW",
ops_DimFlightSchedule = Source{[Schema="ops",Item="DimFlightSchedule"]}[Data],
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(ops_DimFlightSchedule, each ([Cancelled] <> 2))
in
#"Filtered Rows"

then change it to this

let
   #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(ops_DimFlightSchedule, each ([Cancelled] <> 2)),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Filtered Rows", "DepartureDateTime", Splitter.SplitTextByEachDelimiter({" "}, QuoteStyle.Csv, false), {"DepartureDateTime.1", "DepartureDateTime.2"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"DepartureDateTime.1", type text}, {"DepartureDateTime.2", type time}}),
    #"Changed Type with Locale" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type", {{"DepartureDateTime.1", type date}}, "en-US"),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type with Locale",{{"DepartureDateTime.1", "DateDeparture"}, {"DepartureDateTime.2", "TimeDeparture"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

To give this

date-time-cols2.png

Note that my date format is d/m/y 

If you want to repeat these steps in another query then copy/paste everything after the #"Filtered Rows" line

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again for the reply! So, I went through the process of updating my PowerQuery query in Visual Studio and have this now:

ops_DimFlightSchedule1 = Source{[Schema="ops",Item="DimFlightSchedule"]}[Data],
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(ops_DimFlightSchedule1, each ([Cancelled] <> 2)),
    #"Duplicated Column" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Filtered Rows", "ScheduleDepartureDatetimeZ", "ScheduleDepartureDatetimeZ - Copy"),
    #"Extracted Time" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Duplicated Column",{{"ScheduleDepartureDatetimeZ - Copy", DateTime.Time, type time}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Extracted Time",{{"ScheduleDepartureDatetimeZ - Copy", "ScheduleDepartureTimeZ"}}),
    #"Duplicated Column1" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "ScheduleDepartureDatetimeLocal", "ScheduleDepartureDatetimeLocal - Copy"),
    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Duplicated Column1",{{"ScheduleDepartureDatetimeLocal - Copy", "ScheduleDepartureTimeLocal"}}),
    #"Extracted Time1" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Renamed Columns1",{{"ScheduleDepartureTimeLocal", DateTime.Time, type time}}),
    #"Duplicated Column2" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Extracted Time1", "OutZ", "OutZ - Copy"),
    #"Renamed Columns2" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Duplicated Column2",{{"OutZ - Copy", "ActualDepartureTimeZ"}}),
    #"Extracted Time2" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Renamed Columns2",{{"ActualDepartureTimeZ", DateTime.Time, type time}}),
    #"Duplicated Column3" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Extracted Time2", "OutLocal", "OutLocal - Copy"),
    #"Renamed Columns3" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Duplicated Column3",{{"OutLocal - Copy", "ActualDepartureTimeLocal"}}),
    #"Extracted Time3" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Renamed Columns3",{{"ActualDepartureTimeLocal", DateTime.Time, type time}}),
    #"Duplicated Column4" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Extracted Time3", "OutZ", "OutZ - Copy"),
    #"Renamed Columns4" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Duplicated Column4",{{"OutZ - Copy", "ActualDepartureDateZ"}}),
    #"Extracted Date" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Renamed Columns4",{{"ActualDepartureDateZ", DateTime.Date, type date}}),
    #"Duplicated Column5" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Extracted Date", "OutLocal", "OutLocal - Copy"),
    #"Renamed Columns5" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Duplicated Column5",{{"OutLocal - Copy", "ActualDepartureDateLocal"}}),
    #"Extracted Date1" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Renamed Columns5",{{"ActualDepartureDateLocal", DateTime.Date, type date}}),
    #"Duplicated Column6" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Extracted Date1", "InZ", "InZ - Copy"),
    #"Renamed Columns6" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Duplicated Column6",{{"InZ - Copy", "ActualArrivalDateZ"}}),
    #"Extracted Date2" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Renamed Columns6",{{"ActualArrivalDateZ", DateTime.Date, type date}}),
    #"Duplicated Column7" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Extracted Date2", "InLocal", "InLocal - Copy"),
    #"Renamed Columns7" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Duplicated Column7",{{"InLocal - Copy", "ActualArrivalDateLocal"}}),
    #"Extracted Date3" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Renamed Columns7",{{"ActualArrivalDateLocal", DateTime.Date, type date}}),
    #"Duplicated Column8" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Extracted Date3", "InZ", "InZ - Copy"),
    #"Renamed Columns8" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Duplicated Column8",{{"InZ - Copy", "ActualArrivalTimeZ"}}),
    #"Extracted Time4" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Renamed Columns8",{{"ActualArrivalTimeZ", DateTime.Time, type time}}),
    #"Duplicated Column9" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Extracted Time4", "InLocal", "InLocal - Copy"),
    #"Renamed Columns9" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Duplicated Column9",{{"InLocal - Copy", "ActualArrivalTimeLocal"}}),
    #"Extracted Time5" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Renamed Columns9",{{"ActualArrivalTimeLocal", DateTime.Time, type time}})
in
    #"Extracted Time5"

When viewing the new table in PowerQuery, the columns display as expected:

Capture1.JPG

I create a table in te Tabular model using this same query. When I view the data in the tabular model, however, the date portion is still present - even though I format the column to JUST have the time:

ansonee1_0-1607655937362.png

The problem is that this column is used in a relationship with a Time Dimension table. Since the actual value isn't just the time, the relationship doesn't work.

Getting closer!!

watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Even easier to just click on the Add Columns tab and then go to the Date functions and select Date Only and then Time only from the options. If you are worried about folding, change the Date.DateTime function to Date.From

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Sample PBIX file here.

This will give you the Date column

Date = LEFT('Table'[DepartureDateTime], 10)

This will give you the Time column 

Time = MID('Table'[DepartureDateTime], 12, LEN('Table'[DepartureDateTime] - 12))

To give

date-time-cols.png

Modify the format to suit.

Regards

Phil

If I answered your question please mark my post as the solution.
If my answer helped solve your problem, give it a kudos by clicking on the Thumbs Up.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Philip fr the reply!

In looking at your solution, and after trying a couple of things, I realized the adding of hte columns in the tble definition as proposed earlier, is probably going to be the best option.

yours works great, but the LEFT portion won't work since our dates don't force an extra 0 (zero) for single days/months. So for example if the datetime string is 

7/6/2019 3:43:00 PM

, your calc returns 7/6/2019 3.

And the date and time columns are going to be used as foreign keys in a tabular model, so my solution I tried didn't work as I just fomatted the full datetime column as a date, time, etc. So it wasn't actually a date value, so the relatinship didn't work.

So, given the original reply and their solution, how would you wedge that into the following table definition:

#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(ops_DimFlightSchedule, each ([Cancelled] <> 2))
in
#"Filtered Rows"

And I should correct myself!!! I need to edit the M expression that my table is based on! It's not DAX...sorry about the miscommunication!!

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

I'm a bit confused.  You've posted in he Power Query forum but you are referring to a Calculated Column which is what you get in DAX/Power Pivot.  Are you looking for a solution in DAX?  You use Custom Columns in Power Query.

Why do you need to add 8 new columns?  Why aren't you splitting your source columns into just 2 columns, one for date and one for time?

Can you please share soem source data and the expected outcome so we know what we are aiming to produce.

regards

Phil

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm posting here beauase there is no Tabular Model / DAX board here...and I've had other questions on DAX answered here.

I need to have three columns: the original column which is a datetime, a column to hold the date, and a column to hold the time, so I am trying to do just what you said.

So essntially if you have 11/01/2020 10:00:00, you would then have 11/01/2020 in one column and 10:00:00 in a third.

CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, @Anonymous , you might want to add new columns this way,

#"Added DateDeparture" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "DateDeparture", each Date.From(DateTime.FromText([DepartureDateTime]))),

#"Added TimeDeparture" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added DateDeparture", "TimeDeparture", each Time.From(DateTime.FromText([DepartureDateTime])))

Screenshot 2020-12-08 194003.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply!

The issue withthis is that I am actually needing to add eight new columns, and a calculated column strikes me as the easier route, without having to go in and rewrite the entire table expression.

Also, there are several oter tables that will need this change, and if I have a "standard" calculation I can just modify based on input column, so much the easier!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors