Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rborges

Self-Signed Certificates on PowerBI

I have seen this posted in some other topics, but so far, didn't find any sort of awnser.

Here's my deal: i'm feeding the data via HTTPS and using a self-signed certificate.. in a regular web browser, you can just ignore the alerts and proceed with it, but in Power BI it completely stops the imports.

"Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel." - this is the error it gives me back.

My question is .. is there any sort of way we can "ignore" this specific alert and use a self-signed certificate to be able to test our data source properly?

Until this moment, I have not found this information.

Any help or guidance via links that can help will be much appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
tr123

I managed to get self signed certificates working with the method below. It only works with the downloaded Desktop version not the Windows Store app. You can't modify files in a Windows Store app.

Update the file C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin\Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX45.exe.config to:

<configuration>
  <system.net>
    <settings>
      <servicePointManager
        checkCertificateName="false"
        checkCertificateRevocationList="false"         
      />
    </settings>
  </system.net>
</configuration>

Restart Power BI.

I've been looking for this solution for a long time. Thanks! No solution was found for a Windows Store app?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Use http instead?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

If HTTP was a valid option for what I pretend to do , I would. In this case it is not, the information is sensitive.

Anyway, so far, if you install a domain certificate you need to add that certificate's supplier onto your certificate store.

That means the computer where you are running Power BI must trust a certificate supplied by A.

So in that computer, you add "A's Certificate" to your local machine certificate store.

This way you can at least test your project.

But anyway, it still seems to be too much of an extensive workaround when so many browsers already surpass this issue other than the warning.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors