Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

noamo48
Frequent Visitor

Scheduled refresh failure message: The command has been canceled

I have four PBIX files with identical datasets but different tabs. They are pulling data from CSV files stored in a Sharepoint site. I have it scheduled for nightly refresh.

For only one of the reports the refresh ALWAYS fails! And every single time it fails, I get this error but with a different table name each time:

Last refresh failed: Thu Jul 19 2018 21:55:12 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
There was an error when processing the data in the dataset.Hide details
Cluster URI: WABI-WEST-EUROPE-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 664f410a-8c87-54fb-7d89-b354535b69ff
Request ID: c443529f-e293-433e-e1fb-921456021b14
Time: 2018-07-20 01:55:12Z

I want to reiterate that it's a different table causing the error every time. When I open the report in Power BI Desktop, it loads just fine. I'm able to refresh everything in the dataset. Although one of the 22 queries contains 258,000 rows and one single error (which I can't track down for the life of me). 

What the heck is going on with this? How can I get this refresh to work? Why is it only failing for this one specific report despite the datasets being identical across all 4 of them?

9 REPLIES 9
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Are they all pulling from the same CSV file? If so, I wonder if there is some kind of locking issue going on? If you have a Pro license, you can open a support ticket for this. I would submit this as a support issue. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi,

There are the same, identical 22 queries all pulling from the same set of 12 CSV files in all four datasets. The only difference in the PBIX files is which tabs they contain. 

I thought it was just one dataset failing to refresh, but now it seems all four datasets are having issues refreshing. But it only happens intermittently. If I try to manually refresh any dataset it will throw an error every time about a different table. But eventually it does refresh successfully. Makes no sense...

I have a Power BI Pro license so I'll try opening a support ticket I guess...

Well Microsoft support has been super helpful so far....they asked me to run a Fiddler trace on the dataset refresh! 😄 How can I run a Fiddler trace on Microsoft's servers during the dataset refresh? Can anyone answer that? SMH

Hi @noamo48,

I can explain.

1. Open Fiddler and start trace.

2. Run refresh of dataset(s) in Power BI Service.

3. Wait until refreshed.

4. Save Fiddler trace as file.

Let me know if you need more detailed description.

Regards,

Ruslan

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Ruslan, how is that going to help? What info will you get from MY computer when the refresh happens on MICROSOFT'S servers??

@noamo48,

1. This information was requested by Microsoft. Not by me!

2. I spent many hours on working with Microsoft on resolving different issues, sometimes Fiddler trace can show errors in http requests. I guess Microsoft can get it but it will take much time from them to select only your PC trace from thousands of others.

Regards,
Ruslan

Yes, it was requested by Microsoft. That's the part that worries me. I'm dealing with a critical issue and they're asking me for a Fiddler trace from my computer for a dataset refresh which is happening on the backend of Microsoft servers....

Hi @noamo48,

It is your decision to trace or not to trace. Let me try to help another way.

Do you have Power BI Premium/Power Embedded assigned to your workspace?

Regards,
Ruslan

I have a Power BI Pro license assigned to the workspace.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors