Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

haechleriwan
Frequent Visitor

Scheduled daily refresh of a .pbix file connected to an Azure Online Database for free users

Hi

I've created a report in Power BI Desktop and connected it to an Azure SQL Database. I published the .pbix file and created a dashboard out of it, which is being shared with other users. 

When I schedule a daily refresh, the free users with whom I shared the dashboard can not see it anymore. Even if I schedule a refresh every other day, it still does not work. Only Pro Users can access it. However, according to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-refresh-data/, a daily data refresh should be available for free users, too. 

If I don't schedule a refresh, the data does not automatically update!

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @haechleriwan

I am not able to reproduce your issue.

What error message do the users get? Do you publish your report to "My Workspace" or Power BI Group?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
DipteshPatel
Regular Visitor

I'm having an issue with a Dataset failing to refresh and it would appear to be to do with the fact my model is blending data from two separate databases in two separate Azure servers. I've created a report in PBI Desktop that connects to our separate DEV and PROD Azure Servers with no issues - Desktop lets me blend the data without a complaint.

I set up a schedule for refresh, but it always fails and 

The Refresh history messages shows a seemingly random table each time as being the one to trip it up.

If Power BI Desktop is letting me blend these sources in to the same report, what is it about the Service that is preventing it?

Is it a bug in the Service, or intentional for some reason? Is there a suggested workaround?

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @haechleriwan,

How do you connect to Azure SQL database from Power BI Desktop? Using import mode or DirectQuery mode? If you connect to Azure SQL database using DirectQuery mode, your dashboard contains Power BI Pro content, the users you shared dashboard with should have pro license to view reports.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Dear @v-yuezhe-msft Lydia,

Thank you for your support.

However, I do not use DirectQuery mode. The connection is established by import mode. Any idea why it does not work?

Thank you,

Hi @haechleriwan

I am not able to reproduce your issue.

What error message do the users get? Do you publish your report to "My Workspace" or Power BI Group?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft

I've uploaded a new database and for some reason, this time everything works! 

Thank you very much for your kind support.

Hi @haechleriwan,

Regarding the below thread, can you please help me out.

When you do shedule refresh for Import model for Azure SQl.

Did you configure Gateway?

If not can you please let me know how go forword with out gateway, actually my data is on Azure Sql and  i am using the Impoert model.

Thanks,

Kapil

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors