Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sbelarbi
Regular Visitor

Same report for a lot of clients

hello, I have the same dashboard for 100 customers who each have a different data source,

Is it possible that when I make an update on 1 visual for example, it update automatically all the 100 customers reports?

or i need to change 1 by 1 ? 

Thanks for your reply 

Sorry i didn't really know when to place this question.

5 REPLIES 5
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Sbelarbi ,

First you should know that the difference between dashboard and report, you can refer: Difference Between Power BI Dashboard vs Report 

One dashboard can have multiple tiles from different reports, one report can pin multiple tiles to different dashboards.

In this case, if you want to update all the 100 reports at the same time, you need to create a whole customer report becasure the refresh of each report is separate. Refresh single visual in one report to refresh other reports in power bi is not supported.

If you just want make each customer to show their own data, you can set RLS or use paginated report to filter them as @ mahoneypat mentioned.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

You have at least two good options, and both involve first making a model that has the data for all 100 customers.  You can then - 

1. Set up row-level security so that each customer can only see their own data

2. Create a paginated report with which you pass the customer name as a parameter, and then subscribe to the report so they get it automatically with just their data.  Or you can set up a Flow to do it.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Hi @mahoneypat , @v-yingjl ,

I have some questions in addition to this topic. I hope it's okay that I ask these questions here. Let me know if I need to start a new topic.

I am facing the same unproductive way of working. I have one report for 30 customers (and more come each day). I understand your suggested solution to create one report with the data from all customers and then publish it to one workspace with applied RLS per customer. I have put some thought into this and I would like to know if you can think with me.

- In my report I have around 15 tables (lookups, facts, queries, excel-files). Does this mean that I would end up with 15 x 30 (30 customers) = 450 tables in my report? I understand that the end result would be 15 final tables which have been appended. But the report would still contain 450 tables.

-This report will also be my development model where I create new visuals, fix bugs etc. I think creating one monstrous report will dramatically decrease my user development experience. 

- All my customers are on a pro-license. Creating one report will go over the 1GB size limit. Which means all of my customers will need premium licenses? Some of my customers have over 300 users using the report. It will not be easy to ask them to pay 1500 per month extra (15 per user p month instead of 10).

- It feels like the chance for a databreach will be much higher, having all of that sensitive data in workspace, only divided on a RLS role.

- My internal end users need to be able to view AND edit the report for customers of their choice. To solve this, I can add a ShowAll RLS role for my internal users and apply a page level filter where they can select the desired customer?

I am really wondering. I can't find much of best practices around the web on this scenario. Is this really such a rare scenario? Feels like I might be doing something wrong in handling this. 

Would like to hear from your experience.

Thank you friendly.

Hello,

@v-yingjl  : i'am talking about reports not dashboard sorry about this confusion.

Unfortunately i can't make 1 data source for all my customers, i must separate each one.

Thanks for your messages, i understand that for the moment it is not possible.

Hi, did u get any solution ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors