Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AnthonyB
Advocate I
Advocate I

Salesforce Reports and Power BI Desktop - only returns first 10,000 reports in alphabetical order

I have a number of Salesforce reports I want to use as data sources in Power BI.

As an organization, we have close to 20,000 reports sitting in our Salesforce instance.

I am using Power BI Desktop Version: 2.64.5285.741 64-bit (November 2018).

I understand the Salesforce API limit of 10,000 rows.

In Power BI Desktop, when I use Salesforce Reports connector to get data, it returns the first 10,000 reports in alphabetical order. Unfortunately, we have close to 20,000 reports and the reports I need to use are not in this first 10,000. I do not want to rename them all with a prefix to 'force' them to the top of the alpha order 🙂

In Power BI web, when I use the Salesforce Reports service content pack, it returns the list of reports with the reports I most recently accessed at the top of the list, which is great as I can easily select all of the reports I want to use as data sources.

I do not see any way in PBI Desktop to have it return the list of Salesforce reports based on my last access.

Is this correct? Or have I missed some way to achieve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@AnthonyB,

For the above feature request, I would recommend you submit it in Power BI ideas forum.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@AnthonyB,

As your post, salesforce report connector in Power BI Desktop only returns first 10000 reporrs. I am afraid that you would need to rename the required reports to make them appear in top order.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Lydia!

Would it be possible for the Salesforce Connector in Power BI Desktop to have the same option as the PBI Web content pack where it can import 10,000 based on most recently accessed?

This would:

1. Solve my problem

2. Provide consistency between PBI Web and Desktop

I appreciate that this is a feature request and not something that could be solved immediately.

It is very frustrating as renaming all of the Salesforce reports I use isn't really an option (number of reports and report naming standards we use), and I really need to use PBI Desktop for further data massaging that I can't do directly in PBI Web.

As a workaround, I load any generic report (whatever appears in the list) to build the links / data source to NEX, and edit the 'target report' once linked. 

I achieve this by right-clicking on the data source and 'editing' the generic report, and swapping the 'source' report code in top formula bar with the one I want.

chrislinke_0-1658817961417.png

chrislinke_1-1658817977978.png

Not a neat fix, but a work around for you that may save you time in other applications. Note my screenshots are from Excel, but Power BI is similar.

@AnthonyB,

For the above feature request, I would recommend you submit it in Power BI ideas forum.

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors