Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Barry_1

Sales Force Data connection updates

I have built a powerBi report and Dashboard using data from saleasforce and Excel spreadsheets. I can refresh and in the PowerBi desktop app manually no problem. However I was lead to belive reading the Power documentation that the salesforce should autmatically be the latest information without refreshing? This is a larger issue now that I have published my Dashboard to the management team who are saying the information is out of date from salesforce. The only way I can fix this is to refresh and then publish from my power Bi desktop. Then all is good again until next time and i am manually do the refresh and publish on a daily basis.

I was wondering is there a pre-requisite with in my user account for salesforce to allow this automatic update as manually I have no issues?

Thx

Baz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Lydia, I think we have it working now, with your guidance I have realised, when you change passwords and locations of the data being used in the desktop APP. This information is not automatically updated to the WEB view and for each report and dahboard you need to update passwords as well and also I have to set the schedules as you have suggested. Thanks again for your support

Baz

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Barry_1,

Do you connect to local Excel file in your PBIX file? If so, please install on-premises gateway(personal mode) on your machine, after you publish the PBIX file to Power BI Service, go to Settings->Datasets,  find your dataset, enter credential for the salesforce and excel data source, then set schedule refresh for your dataset.
1.JPG

This way, when you have any data changes in salesforce and Excel, the dataset in Power BI Service will be automatically refreshed based on the schedule, and you don't need to manually re-publish PBIX file each time.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Lydia,

Thanks, the issues is all around salesforce and not Excel, I think the issue may be round my SF login rights.

I don't know, if you would know what the minimum requirements are for the SF login to allow the automatic updates to the dashboard from Saleaforce.

Thx

Baz

@Barry_1,

As long as you are able to refresh the data in Power BI Desktop, you should be able to refresh the data from salesforce using same credential. How do you set schedule refresh for your dataset in Power BI Service? Could you please post a screenshot?

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Lydia, I am excited now, I have not changed anything from day one and it worked, so I have just thought that somthing has changed in my Saleforce login. I an a self taught so may I have missed a step. I have not set up any refresh I thought this would be done as part of the GET DATA process? Could you explain where I set up this scheduling?

Thx

Baz

PS thank you for replying it is appreciated you taking the time...:)

@Barry_1,

After you publish PBIX file to Power BI Service, you can set schedule refresh, for more details, please review my first reply.

Regards,
Lydia

Hi Lydia, I think we have it working now, with your guidance I have realised, when you change passwords and locations of the data being used in the desktop APP. This information is not automatically updated to the WEB view and for each report and dahboard you need to update passwords as well and also I have to set the schedules as you have suggested. Thanks again for your support

Baz

@Barry_1,

Yes. Glad to hear the issue is solved. Please accept appropriate replies as answer to close this thread.

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors