Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Scussett
Frequent Visitor

SSL/TLS Error When Connecting to Google Analytics

Hi All,

I'm receiving the following error when I attempt to connect to Google Analytics via Power BI desktop:

"Unable to connect

We encountered an error while trying to connect.

Details: "GoogleAnalytics failed to get the response: 'The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel.'."

Then I have option buttons for Retry, Edit and Cancel.  Retry brings up the same error message. Edit brings up a blank error message where I can only hit OK.  

I have installed the certificate from the website I am trying to connect to.  I have also connected using correct credentials.  Do I need the Google Analytics certificate?  Do I need a different certificate other than the website I am trying to analyze?

I have also tried deleting these credentials out and starting over - this brings me to the same error message.  I've done a lot of research, and tried importing various certificates via MMC - but this hasn't helped this time.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Scussett,

Did this Power BI desktop run on the same machine which hosts the web site you want to analyse? Please enable desktop trace log, or run Fiddler, repeat the steps to reproduce the issue. Share desktop trace log and Fiddler .saz file with us.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msft I've now installed Fiddler - if there are any instructions on how to create logs or to point out what I should be looking for - that would be great!

Thank you!

Hi @Scussett,

You can enable Decrypt HTTPS traffic follow this article: How to Capture Fiddler Trace.

Then repeat the steps to get data from Google Analytics, save and upload .saz file to your OneDrive and share the link here. I will sent this log to consult PG team internally.

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Bump

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

Thank you for the response.  PBI desktop does not run on the same machine which hosts the website.  I was able to connect previously - so I'm wondering if my company's firewall settings have changed.

I don't have Fiddler installed, but here are the trace logs:

DataMashup.Trace Error: 24579 : {"Start":"2017-08-02T15:48:31.9831227Z","Action":"Engine/IO/Web/Request/GetResponse","HostProcessId":"8556","RequestMethod":"GET","RequestUri":"https://www.googleapis.com/analytics/v3/management/accounts?start-index=1&quotaUser=experiantest14@g...: System.Net.WebException, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089\r\nMessage: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel.\r\nStackTrace:\n at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Common.WrappingHttpWebRequest.GetResponse()\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Web.Request.CreateResponse(ResourceCredentialCollection credentials)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Web.Request.GetResponseCore(ResourceCredentialCollection credentials)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Common.RetryPolicy.Execute[TResult](IEngineHost host, Func`1 func)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Web.Request.GetResponse(ResourceCredentialCollection credentials, RetryPolicy retryPolicy, AuthorizationThrowFunction authorizationFunction)\r\n\r\nInnerException\r\nException:\r\nExceptionType: System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089\r\nMessage: The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure.\r\nStackTrace:\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartSendAuthResetSignal(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest, Exception exception)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessReceivedBlob(Byte[] buffer, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessReceivedBlob(Byte[] buffer, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessReceivedBlob(Byte[] buffer, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)\r\n at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)\r\n at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)\r\n at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)\r\n at System.Net.TlsStream.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult result)\r\n at System.Net.TlsStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)\r\n at System.Net.ConnectStream.WriteHeaders(Boolean async)\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n","ProductVersion":"2.48.4792.721 (PBIDesktop)","ActivityId":"843b48cd-147d-453b-9079-7312312dce0d","Process":"Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40","Pid":10112,"Tid":1,"Duration":"00:00:00.0956511"}

Followed by:

DataMashup.Trace Error: 24579 : {"Start":"2017-08-02T15:48:31.9831423Z","Action":"Library/Common/RetryPolicy/ExecuteAction","HostProcessId":"8556","TryCount":"3","RetryAlgorithm":"ExponentialBackoff","Exception":"Exception:\r\nExceptionType: System.Net.WebException, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089\r\nMessage: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel.\r\nStackTrace:\n at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Common.WrappingHttpWebRequest.GetResponse()\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Web.Request.CreateResponse(ResourceCredentialCollection credentials)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Web.Request.GetResponseCore(ResourceCredentialCollection credentials)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Common.RetryPolicy.Execute[TResult](IEngineHost host, Func`1 func)\r\n\r\nInnerException\r\nException:\r\nExceptionType: System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089\r\nMessage: The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure.\r\nStackTrace:\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartSendAuthResetSignal(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest, Exception exception)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessReceivedBlob(Byte[] buffer, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessReceivedBlob(Byte[] buffer, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessReceivedBlob(Byte[] buffer, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)\r\n at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)\r\n at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)\r\n at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)\r\n at System.Net.TlsStream.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult result)\r\n at System.Net.TlsStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)\r\n at System.Net.ConnectStream.WriteHeaders(Boolean async)\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n","ProductVersion":"2.48.4792.721 (PBIDesktop)","ActivityId":"843b48cd-147d-453b-9079-7312312dce0d","Process":"Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40","Pid":10112,"Tid":1,"Duration":"00:00:00.0953374"}

And then followed by:

DataMashup.Trace Warning: 24579 : {"Start":"2017-08-02T15:48:31.9831633Z","Action":"Library/Common/RetryPolicy/TryExecuteAction","HostProcessId":"8556","Attempt":"1","Exception":"Exception:\r\nExceptionType: System.Net.WebException, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089\r\nMessage: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel.\r\nStackTrace:\n at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Common.WrappingHttpWebRequest.GetResponse()\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Web.Request.CreateResponse(ResourceCredentialCollection credentials)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Web.Request.GetResponseCore(ResourceCredentialCollection credentials)\r\n at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Common.RetryPolicy.Execute[TResult](IEngineHost host, Func`1 func)\r\n\r\nInnerException\r\nException:\r\nExceptionType: System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089\r\nMessage: The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure.\r\nStackTrace:\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartSendAuthResetSignal(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest, Exception exception)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessReceivedBlob(Byte[] buffer, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessReceivedBlob(Byte[] buffer, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessReceivedBlob(Byte[] buffer, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)\r\n at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)\r\n at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)\r\n at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)\r\n at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)\r\n at System.Net.TlsStream.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult result)\r\n at System.Net.TlsStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)\r\n at System.Net.ConnectStream.WriteHeaders(Boolean async)\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n","ProductVersion":"2.48.4792.721 (PBIDesktop)","ActivityId":"843b48cd-147d-453b-9079-7312312dce0d","Process":"Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40","Pid":10112,"Tid":1,"Duration":"00:00:00.0950884"}

Thank you for helping me!

Scussett
Frequent Visitor

Just to add to my post above - I'm running IE as Administrator to get certificates for both the website I want to analyze and for Google Analytics site.  I have installed both certificates with the "Automatic" option, and I have tried placing the certificates in the trusted root ca folder.

I'm not sure what else to try!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors