Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rh203
Helper I
Helper I

SSAS import - very strange behaviour!

Hi all,

In the interest of time (I'll see first from the community what details are required to help out!) I won't get into a huge amount of details on the query and source data other than it is an SSAS source with multiple tables (one FACT table) and multiple DIM tables.

I am trying to use power query to import data from the source in order to allow me to combine and customise in various reports I need to build for my org. I am using a DAX query (as I have done many times before) to drive the import criteria from the SSAS via power query.

I have created a basic view of the data that I want to import within a blank PBIX file (simply as a sandbox to visualise the filters and expected data output and to use as a comparison for the data when it is extracted from the SSAS with my DAX query).

The DAX statement consists of a basic SUMMARIZECOLUMNS with 'group by', 'filter' and 'summarize' calculations precisely matching the fields and criteria I have applied in the 'sandbox' PBIX but am completely baffled that the results don't remotely match the PBIX when the extract is complete.

I have tried multiple tweaks to the DAX statement and nothing makes it any closer to the PBIX.

The even more bizarre thing is that I have tried to import the data without a DAX query (using the cube navigation / folding functionality in Power Query) but still the data doesnt match.

Is there something I am missing (I'm not familiar with SSAS backend so not sure if there's some magic happening there that I can't see but doesn't materialise using DAX import functionality).

Appreciate this may be a vague without data but looking for some top level principles or pointers before spelling out the data structure and examples further..

Thanks all!

2 REPLIES 2
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@rh203 

Well, you cannot import the data from ssas model in the first place, that is the limitation for connecting to SSAS.

Power BI can only connect to SSAS model under live connection model.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-ssas-multidimension

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

sorry but you're incorrect - if you choose to connect using live connection (directquery) this is true, but you can also connect to an SSAS (same as you can to an SQL) using import mode to bring the data into the PBI model to them combine with other data elements...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors