Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tteeple
Regular Visitor

SSAS dimension visible with Visible property set to False

I still see some dimensions that have their Visible property set to False in the cube.  The Dimension Usage tab shows False as well as the dimension on any perspectives.  It works for some dimensions while others, it still shows.  I am seeing this with the SSAS on premise live connection in Power BI Online and Desktop.

13 REPLIES 13
cpassuel
Frequent Visitor

I have this issue since SSAS 2008 R2, it seems it's a very low priority for MS.

The workaround is to delete the attribute and recreate it.

pavel_sinkevich
Regular Visitor

Issue is still reproduced. Power BI Desktop version: 2.60.5169.4101 64-bit (July, 2018)

SSAS Multidimentional version: 13.0.5026.0

If dimension has a user-defined hierarchy, it is visible in PowerBI with Visible property set to False.

If dimension doesn't have user-defined hierarchy, it is invisible in PowerBI when Visible=false.

Using perspective is not an option for me.

Does anyone know if a proper fix is going to be released any time soon?

kronvi

Hi,

Maybe, it could be solved with the perspectives. I have done a test and it looks like it works

GianniB
Frequent Visitor

Same issue if I set to False the visibility of only a hierarchy in a shared dimension (I need it visible only for some cubes). If it's a AS bug, why Excel correctly hides the hierarchy? I'm connecting to SSAS 2016

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tteeple,

When we connect to SSAS in desktop in live connection, all hierarchies and dimensions should be the same as on databased engine. I would suggest you check if dimension attributes visible on SSAS side firstly.

In addition, based on my test, when we set the AttributeHierarchyVisible as False for the dimension attribute. If it's referenced in user-defined hierarchy, still be visible in hierarchy when we browse the cube.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msft  Thanks for responding.  The issue is with the entire dimension, not just a single attribute.

E1AOouw

As you can see, I have the Visible property on the entire dimension in the Dimension Usage tab set to False.  The dimension still shows up in Power BI, both Online and Desktop, so it can't be a gateway issue.

hHmcyWA

I have other dimensions set to False and they do not show up.

Hi @tteeple,

I can reproduce this issue. And I already reported it internally, will update here once get any feedback.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @tteeple,

I got the information that dimension visibility is not reflected correctly in CSDL acquired from AS Engine. The incorrect CSDL is an AS Engine bug. And you should submit a support ticket to SQL support directly. Please notice that AS Engine bugs typically take longer to get fixed for users because of their slower release cycle.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

@v-qiuyu-MSFT, is there particular versions of the AS enging this affects? I know it is a problem on 2014, but does it exist as well on 2016?

Thank you

Hi @v-qiuyu-MSFT ,

I am also facing the same issue what ever @tteeple, is getting.

@tteeple do you have any solution.if you have can you please share the information.

Thanks @v-qiuyu-msft.  Can you provide me with a link of where to submit a support ticket?  I don't see anything on the SQL Server page for tickets.

@tteeple See: What is the procedure to open a ticket for microsoft??

@kwilliams In my environment, the issue also happens to SSAS 2016.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Hi v@-qiuyu-MSFT ,

I am also facing the same issue what ever @tteeple facing the issue.  while dimension visible property change to False.It is working fine in while connecting excel .But in powerbi it's not working.

@tteeple do have any solution. if you have can you please share the information.

Thanks,

Srini.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors