Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SalihB

SSAS 2008 as a data source ! How can I create and publish reports ?

Hi dears !

I'm a newbie in Power BI platform ! I did many researches to know about Power BI using SSAS 2008 as a source of data but I didn't find an exact explinations to How can I create reports for my cubes in SSAS 2008 and publish them in Power BI. 

How can I use Entreprise Gateway ? where I have to create my reports, in Power BI desktop or web app ?

Please help me to get a clear idea about what I have do. 

Thank you so much 

Kind regards

3 REPLIES 3

@SalihB Unfortunetely, you won't be able to use SSAS 2008 MD Cubes. See here for the full details.

The relevant tidbit is this:

• Servers must be running SQL Server 2012 SP1 CU4 or later versions of Analysis Services for the Power BI Desktop SSAS MD connector to work properly
    • Only Enterprise and Business Intelligence editions of SQL Server are supported for MD connectivity

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer Thank you so much for the information ! 

What about using the Power BI Web app instead of the desktop version ? 

@SalihB The Service currently inherits the connection via the Desktop file. There is no way to directly link to an MD SSAS instance. And if there was, I'm farely certian the requirements would be the same as the requirement is necessary for the DAX queries to work against the MD SSAS instance.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors