Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wherring

SQL connection

I need a resource to help set up our connections and tell me what we can conncet too.  Can anyone recommend a good resource.  We run SQL on our on premisis server, maintain our accounting database on premis and have a POS system with Micros that is offsite.  Woudl like to integrate with all of them if possible. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@wherring Couple things. 1) If you want a direct notification in your reply messages to people via the community site, you need to specify the users name with the "@" prior to the name. 2) There are several routes you can take depending on how you can extract your Micros data. The first would be to pull it into SQL via an etl process (SSIS as an example), the second would be to do the data mashup in Power BI desktop and connect to the multiple sources. Depending on what version of SQL you have, and the tools available, the best corporate solution would be to pull in the data and do a mashup in a data mart, create a tabular model (could also do Multi-dimensional), and deploy to a SSAS instance, then just connect to the SSAS instance from Power BI. That route will require some technical know-how but it depends on your needs.

Further assistance can be provided if you provide more detail on what your end goals are, and adding a bit more detail as to what your issue is.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@wherring Couple things. 1) If you want a direct notification in your reply messages to people via the community site, you need to specify the users name with the "@" prior to the name. 2) There are several routes you can take depending on how you can extract your Micros data. The first would be to pull it into SQL via an etl process (SSIS as an example), the second would be to do the data mashup in Power BI desktop and connect to the multiple sources. Depending on what version of SQL you have, and the tools available, the best corporate solution would be to pull in the data and do a mashup in a data mart, create a tabular model (could also do Multi-dimensional), and deploy to a SSAS instance, then just connect to the SSAS instance from Power BI. That route will require some technical know-how but it depends on your needs.

Further assistance can be provided if you provide more detail on what your end goals are, and adding a bit more detail as to what your issue is.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer

Thanks for responding and clarifying.  Its clear to me to accomplish our needs we're going to need the services of someone with a stronger technical understanding.  Microsoft seems to not have direct consulting support but instead has a page with dozens of 3rd party providers.  Based on the locations and types of data we are looking at can you recommed where to go for assistance? You reference data mashup etc below.  is that a function that can be set up to happen automatically once its done the first time or will it have to be converted and uploaded anytime we want new data to BI.  In other words, can we hire someone to set it up, determining th reporting we want to see, then continue to get refreshed data withit the daily help of IT folks. 

thanks

@wherring 

@wherring If you are initially thinking that you may need assistance, send me a private message and we can figure out exactly what you are trying to do.

wherring

TEST III - Verifying these REPLY messages fowarding through to email? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors