Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SiroPW
Helper I
Helper I

SQL Server hosted on Azure VM - Do I need a Gateway?

Among other data sources - I have an SQL Server database hosted on an Azure VM.

I can connect with DirectQuery through PowerBI Desktop and make reports I'd like. However when publishing to PowerBI service it tells me I need to go through a Data Gateway.

Can I connect without a gateway? It is a cloud solution (all microsoft, no less). For my Redshift connection I don't have this issue.

If I absolutely have to have a gateway.. How do I set it up? Install on the VM machine rather than locally?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@SiroPW,

You are connecting to a SQL Server that hosted in Azure VM but not Azure SQL database in Power BI Desktop. For the former, gateway is required, you can install gateway on the same machine with Power BI Desktop, then add SQL Server data source within the gateway. Otherwise, you are not able to view the published report in Power BI Service.

For Azure SQL database, gateway is not required.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

You say "Among other data sources"

If you have a mash up of data sources (on premise, Azure), then you'll need a data gateway for the on premise data sources

If you have all Azure data sources, then you don't need a data gateay, and you'll likely just need to enter your data source credentials for your dataset in the service, before you can schedule any refreshes

Publishing a report with purely one table from a SQL Server DB hosted on Azure I get:

image.png

Also, trying to go directly to the service (it still publishes) and updating the data settings field is greyed out as it expects to connect via a Gateway.

image.png

Would love to know how to get around this!

Thanks.

Hello @SiroPW,

Could you please explain to me how you did connect to SQL Server database hosted on an Azure VM through PowerBI Desktop in the first step? which connector?

@SiroPW,

You are connecting to a SQL Server that hosted in Azure VM but not Azure SQL database in Power BI Desktop. For the former, gateway is required, you can install gateway on the same machine with Power BI Desktop, then add SQL Server data source within the gateway. Otherwise, you are not able to view the published report in Power BI Service.

For Azure SQL database, gateway is not required.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors