Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SQL Server - Table empty

Hello!

I created a PBI Report (uploaded to the service) that connects via Enterprise Gateway to a MS SQL Server.

The report is set to "import mode" and datasets are scheduled to refresh hourly turing the day.

The report gets all its data form a view created in the SQL Server. This view uses tables that are constantly being emptied and updated with new date every 15 minutes!

My Problem: if the PBI scheduled refresh runs while the view is "empty" the refresh fails (error message in the service) and I have to hope the next refresh doesn't run while there is no data in the view.

Is there a solution to this? Whats the best practice for using a data source that refreshes very often and might be empty during this refresh for a short period of time? Can I tell PBI to delay the update while the view is empty?

Thanks for your help!

Chris

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

When you set schedule refresh for the dataset, it is not possible to control Power BI delay the update when the view is empty. If you get any refresh errors, you can solve the problem according to the error message, then the refresh will go on and Power BI can get updated data from SQL Server.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lydia, thanks for your reply!

If I understand you correctly, there is no way for PBI to realise that there is currently no data in the view!?

I'm just wondering if my use case is so special and unique?

How are others handling a server view that often performs a full-load?

How to avoid a dashboard-refresh while the full load is still running?

Thanks!

Chris

@Anonymous,

I can't think any method that can be used to avoid refresh in Power BI Service based on conditions. As long as you don't change table structure, you should be OK to refresh data in Power BI Service.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I see.

Still, if anyone knows best practises for updating PBI when having to perform full-loads (and therefore emptying tables beforehand), please let me know how to avoid PBI showing an empty dataset (in the unfortunate case the refresh happens while the datasource is empty).

Thanks!

Chris

@Anonymous @v-yuezhe-msft 

Did you find any solution for this? I am also in similar condition, I need to refresh but when I refresh empty table it gives me the error.

Anonymous
Not applicable

unfortunately I did not find any solution.

I still have reports based database tables that regularly perform a fresh full load.

My workaround is to time the scheduled refresh for those reports when I assume that the load is done.

Please let me know if you come across any better solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors