Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SQL 2014: the server you are trying to connect to doesn't have any models or you don't have access

Hi,

After creating the multidimensional cube I am able to connect with excel but not with Power BI. I have tried all three different connection method as follows:

With Live connection:

It gives error as stated subject line

Fig 1: Live Connection issueFig 1: Live Connection issue

Import option: 

Even it doesn't work with Import option. When I choose Import option I am able to connect and can see the database name but can't see the cube name under the database, so not able to choose tables.

Import connection showing database name but missing cube nameImport connection showing database name but missing cube name

Fig 2: Import connection showing database name but missing cube name

Import connection with MDX

This one works.

I found similar blog,  where I have checked with version; My SQL server version (12.0.5) which means SQL server 2014 SP2.

Since I was not sure where is the issue, I have created very small cube by using one fact and one dimension by using the same VS and deployed to same SSAS server which works fine with Power BI live connection.

However, the existing cube doesn’t work with Live and Import connection. I have tried by changing the SSAS cube database name but did not work really. It's seems to me issue with the cube. 

In this situation, I am really wondering what can go wrong with the cube? Your suggestion will be really appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lydia,

Many thanks, I found the reason 🙂 It look like, the cube's visible property somehow changed to 'False', I don't have any clue how it's changed? In general, when you create cube it's by default 'TRUE'.  I have updated the cube and it's works fine now.

Thanks for your reply.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

What is the result if you use SQL Server Management Studio(SSMS) to connect to SSAS database? Are you able to view the problem cube in SSMS?

I would recommend you check if you have any view permissions about this problem cube in SSMS. By the way, what is your Power BI Desktop version?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lydia,

Thanks for your reply. I am able to see the data via SSMS, there is no error while browsing from SSMS. I have given the full control to the users.

The power BI version is:  2.62.5222.601 32-bit (september 2018)

By the way, I can see Writeback folder created under the database (empty writeback folder is already there under cube). I never created writeback, I have asked DBA to synchoronize the cube to different sever, look like DBA did something so that WriteBack folder is there under the database (see image). Is this issue can be related with WriteBack?

Fig 1: WriteBack under databaseFig 1: WriteBack under database

@Anonymous,

Based on your description, the issue could be releated to the cube itself. I would recommend you update Power BI Desktop to latest version.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lydia,

Many thanks, I found the reason 🙂 It look like, the cube's visible property somehow changed to 'False', I don't have any clue how it's changed? In general, when you create cube it's by default 'TRUE'.  I have updated the cube and it's works fine now.

Thanks for your reply.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors