Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

(SIMPLE) grouped running total

I've seen a few similar threads but none in PowerQuery or simple enough for me to understand.

I have a dataset:

id | date | groupId | value |

which i would like to sort by date, then group by groupId, then calculate a runningTotal at a specific date, and the ungroup everything into a single list again.

1)Sort by date, easy

= Table.Sort(#"Geänderter Typ",{{"date", Order.Ascending}})

2)Group by groupId

= Table.Group(#"Sortierte Zeilen", {"groupId"}, {{"grouped", each _, type table [id=nullable number, date=nullable date, groupId=nullable number, value=nullable number]}})

this is also so far straight forward

3)running total, here I have defined a function fnRunningTotal:

= (ValueToRunningSum, Index) => List.Sum(List.FirstN(ValueToRunningSum, Index))

This should hopefully take the First N of a column, selected by index, and then sum over those, e.g. a running total.

For this i require an incrementing index, which i must apply per group. 

= Table.AddColumn(#"Gruppierte Zeilen", "groupedWithIndex", each Table.AddIndexColumn([grouped], "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type))

Then i must apply my function, again inside a group so i tried this:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Hinzugefügte benutzerdefinierte Spalte", "groupedWithRunningTotal", each Table.AddColumn([groupedWithIndex],"runningTotal",each fnRunningTotal([value],[index])))

This results in an error in the "runningTotal" column, i assume i'm not referenceing [value] and [index] correctly (am i missing row context somehow`)

Can someone help me finish this? I'm currently not interested in the most performant solution, more in something that works, which I can understand, as I'm currently struggling with the PowerQuery Syntax and Programming style.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,
this is probably because you are using the syntax sugar "each" twice, which creates ambiguity.
Instead, try re-writing it like so:
= Table.AddColumn(#"Hinzugefügte benutzerdefinierte Spalte", "groupedWithRunningTotal", each Table.AddColumn([groupedWithIndex],"runningTotal", (inner) => fnRunningTotal(inner[value],inner[index])))

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

AH such a dumb mistake, indeed the "index" should have been "Index". Thank you. Now it seems that my Running total function itself is wrong as I am receiving the error:

Error in the Query ''. Expression.Error: Der Value "1" cannot be converted to Type "List".

I suppose this makes sense as my function fnRunningTotal now is receiving two scalar values (value and index) and then running List functions on them.

So i have now changed your expression to:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Hinzugefügte benutzerdefinierte Spalte", "groupedWithRunningTotal", each Table.AddColumn([groupedWithIndex],"runningTotal", (inner) => fnRunningTotal([groupedWithIndex][value],inner[Index])))

So now i am passing the inner[Index] as the "N" in  List.FirstN and and the entire value column as the "List"

Thank you for your help

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Please be aware that M is case sensitive.
You can try this:
Table.AddColumn(#"Hinzugefügte benutzerdefinierte Spalte", "groupedWithRunningTotal", each Table.AddColumn([groupedWithIndex],"runningTotal", (inner) => fnRunningTotal(inner[value],inner[Index])))

or this:

Table.AddColumn(#"Hinzugefügte benutzerdefinierte Spalte", "groupedWithRunningTotal", each Table.AddColumn([groupedWithIndex],"runningTotal", (inner) => fnRunningTotal(inner[value],[Index])))

actually not sure where the Index column sits, actually.

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Anonymous
Not applicable

AH such a dumb mistake, indeed the "index" should have been "Index". Thank you. Now it seems that my Running total function itself is wrong as I am receiving the error:

Error in the Query ''. Expression.Error: Der Value "1" cannot be converted to Type "List".

I suppose this makes sense as my function fnRunningTotal now is receiving two scalar values (value and index) and then running List functions on them.

So i have now changed your expression to:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Hinzugefügte benutzerdefinierte Spalte", "groupedWithRunningTotal", each Table.AddColumn([groupedWithIndex],"runningTotal", (inner) => fnRunningTotal([groupedWithIndex][value],inner[Index])))

So now i am passing the inner[Index] as the "N" in  List.FirstN and and the entire value column as the "List"

Thank you for your help

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,
this is probably because you are using the syntax sugar "each" twice, which creates ambiguity.
Instead, try re-writing it like so:
= Table.AddColumn(#"Hinzugefügte benutzerdefinierte Spalte", "groupedWithRunningTotal", each Table.AddColumn([groupedWithIndex],"runningTotal", (inner) => fnRunningTotal(inner[value],inner[index])))

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Imke,

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried your solution but sadly it doesnt work, im still receiving an error on the runningTotal column:

Expression.Error: The Field"index" of the Dataset was not found.(manually translated to english)

for this expression:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors