Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bobrin
Advocate III
Advocate III

SDLC

I am looking for a streamlined way to move a Power BI project through the software development life cycle.  Taking the data source references in a PBIX from dev to test to prod without any manual intervention but possibly doing something a bit more dynamic. Has anyone spent anytime on this are are we still too early to have seen this 'enterprise' adoption.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I have spent some time doing this for customers. Thus far it has been a bit frustrating. I have had some limited success in simply editing the underlying data source to change it from dev to prod for example, but have run into problems as well. Generally, the problem is with adding calculated columns. Simply stated, if you hope for this to work, minimize or eliminate your use of custom columns and possibly measures, they often seem to cause problems when you swap data sources under the hood. You end up putting a lot more of this in M if at all possible, which makes your M code a lot more complex.

The really frustrating part with this is that you have to blow away the underlying data table and recreate it, which wipes it out of all of your visualizations, breaks relationships, it's really kind of a real mess.

One comment that I have on this because of the frustrations that I have had, if you can use prod as your starting point for your data model, by all means do that. I realize that this is not always possible because you are often changing the underlying data in dev or need stored procedures written, etc. but if that is not the case, use prod data, it's not like the load of data from prod into your model is a big performance hit on prod and you could limit the amount ingested at first and then remove that limit when your model goes to production.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@bobrin My experience with Enterprise related implementations revolve around utilizing Tabular models. Alot of the pain of changing parts of the model in the PBIX files goes away when you are direct connecting to a SSAS instance.

If you have the option, I would say, it is currently the best way to implement an enterprise level implementation.

A couple ways to implement would be to have one prod SSAS instance and use Groups to manage Dev/Test/Prod

Or have multiple SSAS instances. From my understanding, there should be no issue switching environments as long as the model name is the same.

All implementations I've done, start by using the Desktop - so I have "backups" of the reports, then pulling those files into the appropriate groups and creating dashboards/sharing if applicable.

Store those Desktop versions in TFS / One Drive / or some central location for backup/version control..

At this point, I think we all look forward to more Enterprise level features, and for right now it really comes down to creating a managed process that works for your implementation.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I have spent some time doing this for customers. Thus far it has been a bit frustrating. I have had some limited success in simply editing the underlying data source to change it from dev to prod for example, but have run into problems as well. Generally, the problem is with adding calculated columns. Simply stated, if you hope for this to work, minimize or eliminate your use of custom columns and possibly measures, they often seem to cause problems when you swap data sources under the hood. You end up putting a lot more of this in M if at all possible, which makes your M code a lot more complex.

The really frustrating part with this is that you have to blow away the underlying data table and recreate it, which wipes it out of all of your visualizations, breaks relationships, it's really kind of a real mess.

One comment that I have on this because of the frustrations that I have had, if you can use prod as your starting point for your data model, by all means do that. I realize that this is not always possible because you are often changing the underlying data in dev or need stored procedures written, etc. but if that is not the case, use prod data, it's not like the load of data from prod into your model is a big performance hit on prod and you could limit the amount ingested at first and then remove that limit when your model goes to production.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors