Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ZenKefka00
Regular Visitor

SAP HANA Connector Forcing as Native Query

So. I've had an issue arise in just the past few weeks, I assume with the latest update and I was wondering if anyone else was having an issue or if there is some workaround.

I connect with the SAP HANA connector to our datasets in power query. I typically have an SQL script that I paste in. In the past when I did that I was able to click the gear in the applied steps pane and edit the the connection string and script at my own free will. But now every time I bring in new data the gear is gone and I've noticed that the M Query code has changed as such. It's forcing my connection to be a Native Query when that wasn't the case before.

Used to be:

SapHana.Database("SERVER:PORT", [Query=" SQL SCRIPT ", Implementation="2.0"])

But now it's:

Value.NativeQuery(SapHana.Database("SERVER:PORT", [Implementation="2.0"]), " SQL SCRIPT ", null, [EnableFolding=true])

This is a giant pain, I've checked the settings and nothing seems out of sort. I've tried rebuilding the connector as well with no success. I've noticed that my power query in Excel works just fine which leads me to believe the connector itself is fine and that's it's specifically a Power BI issue.

Anyone experienced this?

7 REPLIES 7
hokeson
Employee
Employee

This change in behavior will ultimately benefit you. PBI now support folding on top of SAP HANA native queries, and you will most likely see improved performance and additional scenarios unlocked.

The missing cog will be fixed in PBI desktop November 2022 version.

It is preferable to stay on PBI desktop August version to edit easily select statements.

while using PBI desktop September 2022 version it is neccessary to update On-premisses Data Gateway to at least August 2022 version and you can use this workaround.

My personal recomendation is to upgrade gateway and stay with PBI desktop August version till November version is released. 

Hi there,
We have June-22 version of the on-premise gateway. Are you saying if we upgrade to Aug-22 version or later then the issue where reports fail to refresh in service with "Native queries aren't supported by this value" error will not occur anymore?

Thanks

Yes, June version does not support nativeQuery for saphana connector. It is supported since August 2022 gateway version.

mkrenn
Regular Visitor

Is there a solution for this issue? I have same problem. 

hokeson
Employee
Employee

Hi ZenKefka, can you tell me please what version of PBI desktop are youusing?

can you please try to use a previous version? it can be download it here.

do you face the same issue in August version?

thank you.

I am having the same issue. Version details below
Version: 2.109.1021.0 64-bit (September 2022)

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ZenKefka00 ,

What connection mode do you use, does this have to do with the connection mode? Have you tried to change the connection mode to check? By my research, haven't found the similar problem as yours, if my suggestion doesn't help, I suggest you create a support ticket to get more detailed help.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors