Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

blairzy1
Frequent Visitor

SAP BW connector invalid MDX command

I'm using: Power BI Desktop (April 17 release) I'm trying to connect to SAP BW using the now standard SAP Business Warehouse server connector. SAP NW RFC SDK 7.20 downloaded and extracted. The .lib and .dll files all plonked into my system32 folder. When I use the connector I can see the Cubes in BW okay but when I preview or import I get an error message:

DataSource.Error: SAP Business Warehouse: Invalid MDX command with Details: DataSourceKind=SapBusinessWarehouse DataSourcePath=drapppsap30/16/510 ErrorCode=-2147467259 Any ideas ?Capture.JPG

22 REPLIES 22
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @blairzy1,

There is a new desktop version 2.45.4704.722 released on 4/17/2017. Please try to update the desktop. If issue persists, please share trace file with us.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I've been on vacation, just back now.

I'm still having issues. I've put the relevant log files relating to the error on onedrive at the link below.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuETluKNmTkZcwiDLEpXfD7MU-k

NB. Since I created these files I did another install of PBI desktop to get up to v 2.45.4704.722 but still the same error.

@blairzy1 I have reported this issue with trace log internally. If there is any information, I will update to you.

@hemantsingh I already send a email to you. You can share the trace file via email.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

I have just mailed you the trace files. Please analyse them & lemme know your findings.Hope to get a solution from you.

Regards,

Hemant

@blairzy1 I got the information internally that they suggest to enable product traces on the Diagnostics tab of the Options dialog and then repeat the operation which produces the error. Then, send us the trace files. 

Please follow above suggestion and capture trace and share it here.

@hemantsingh Please check if the trace file is captured as I told above. If not, please send me again.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Hi Qiuyun Yu,

I've PM'd you. Have you had a chance to push the files through to the team?

Regards,

@blairzy1@hemantsingh Desktop trace files already sent internally, will updated here if I get information from PG.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Hi all,

Please check below information from PG:

The generated MDX is this:

EXECUTE MDX |WITH MEMBER [Measures].[Microsoft.Mashup.Engine.NullMeasure] AS null SELECT [Measures].[Microsoft.Mashup.Engine.NullMeasure] ON 0,[0PLANT].[LEVEL01].ALLMEMBERS PROPERTIES MEMBER_CAPTION,MEMBER_UNIQUE_NAME ON 1 FROM [ZTAX_REG/REP_20120526_VATREG_TS_GST] CELL PROPERTIES VALUE| WITH-OPTIONS(IgnoreEmptyResultset=true, USEFLATTENING=TRUE);

It turns out that "AS null" works correctly on some BW servers but not others.. As of the June release, we will generate different MDX that will avoid this problem, which should fix the issue.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Thanks @v-qiuyu-msft

It feels good to know that the issue raised by us is being acknowleged by product development team & they are working towards its resolution. A reason why pbi stands out exceptionally well in comparision to other same category softwares in terms of issue resolution .

Reagrds,

Hemant

Hi,

We are trying to integrate in the same scenario and we are also getting the same error message. We have downloaded latest PowerBI version but nothing changes. Can you helps us on steps on how to get support? Do you need logs files?

Thanks

Pablo Marco

Hi all,

Based on my test, the issue fixed in Power BI desktop newest version 2.47.4766.542 64-bit (June 2017), please test again in your environment.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

I have installed the June version and I still cannot import the data. Here is the error message.

DataSource.Error: SAP Business Warehouse: RfcInvoke failed(RFC_ABAP_RUNTIME_FAILURE): TSV_TNEW_PAGE_ALLOC_FAILED
Details:
    DataSourceKind=SapBusinessWarehouse
    DataSourcePath=10.135.70.104/00/005
    ErrorCode=-2147467259

Can you help? Thanks.

Hi @sukajalan2,

It seems this is the first time you have installed pbi & tried to connect SAP BW, Is it?? 

If this is the case then kindly send me your email id, i will send you few dependent files which are required to be placed in windows system32  folder. There are SAP NWRFC library files that are required to connect to SAP Bw . Also , make sure you have installed latest gui in your local machine from where you are trying to connect the SAP bw.

Regards,

Hemant

Hi @hemantsingh, I have sent you my email address.

Regards,

Johannes

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

You are a real gem sir. great work by the pbi dev team. I would like to confirm that the subject mentioned issue has been resolved and now & i am able to connect to every single report & cube of sap bw flawlessly after updating pbi to the latest june-2017 update.

I have started testing it & will keep you posted about issues that might come in different testing scenarios. As of now things are working good.

Regards,

Hemant

Thanks  @v-qiuyu-msft

hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

The trace folder which i have sent you via mail was exactly captured the way you told. Please find below the steps i followed to capture the trace.

1). Opened Power Bi.

2) Deleted all the traces till date from the root folder of traces.

3). checked the option for enable trace

4). Connected to SAP BW server.

5) Tried conencting to a SAP BW Report that has mandatory parameter selection if access through bex query analyser.

Result :- Failed to do so. The same error repeated.

6). Tried conencting to cubes under $infocube option. 

Result : - Failed to connect any cube. The same error repeated.

7). Tried conencting to a SAP BW Report that does not have any mandatory parameter selection if access through bex query analyser.

Result :- Failed to do so. The same error repeated.

Regards,

Hemant

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

I downloaded the 17-04-2017 released update of PBI as you suggested. Still i am not able to access any report or Cube in SAP BW. Kindly tell me a way so that i can share the trace logs as you suggested. I have one with me.

Regards,

Hemant

Hi @hemantsingh,

You can upload the desktop trace file into OneDrive and share the link here.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

Since i am on a my office vpn so i cannot acceess cloud storage of any kind. It would be great if you can drop me a test mail to my personal mail id i.e hemantshyontry@gmail.com , I can send you zip file of the trace log folder.

Regards,

Hemant 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors