Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

daanp
Helper I
Helper I

SAP BW authorization

Hello all,

Recently we've started working with the SAP BW connector. It works great. 

When we check the 'allow external access'  box in BW. the query is available in Power BI. But it is available for everyone who has access to the BW server, not just the people who have specific authorization in BW to the query.

Question:

Is it possible for Power BI to connect to BW and follow the same authorizations in BW?

or is there another solution?

Any tips and tricks

8 REPLIES 8
vpo

Dear PowerBI Community,

I have the same question, as we want to connect SAP BEx Queries but we need to use the SAP authorizations behind them. Is there a way to do this?

Kind regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable
JuandreR
Regular Visitor

I have done quite extensive research on this topic; Power BI cannot handle structural auths from SAP. The only auths you can set up for Power BI is on Active Directory. It is not even remotely close to SAP structural auths, it is extremely difficult "nearly impossible" to manage in the long run, if you are in a large corporation. For example, you need to keep track of employees and have a record of which groups in AD each employee is part of. The reason behind this is because you need to adjust those when an employee transfers into a different position in the company / resigns, etc.. It is something that Microsoft seriously needs to look into, since more and more companies are trying to implement Power BI on top of an SAP Data warehouse.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even we are looking to leverage the existing BW authorisation. Any inputs will be much appreciated

kotians
Regular Visitor

Hello

i have simialr question. does any one has solution for this?

how to powerbi handle bw authorization?

JuandreR
Regular Visitor

Hi Daanp,

Did you ever manage to get this done?
We are also moving into MS Power BI and all our data currently resides within SAP BW, so we would also like to use the current structural authorizations from SAP BW instead.

If not, how did you manage to do it?

@v-qiuyu-msft , Do you possibly have a solution to this, or is this a planned feature for the near future in Power BI?
Goulwen

Hi experts,

I have the same questions, I could secure my BW data swithout develop a new security ?

Thank a lot.

Goulwen

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors