Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Lesteryo
Regular Visitor

SAP BW Connection

Hello.

I am new with connecting to SAP BW.

I already read post about SAP BW on the link below but still failed and still got an error.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/SAP-BW-Connector-SAP-NetWeaver-library-S...

xcv.png

Is there a pre-requisite for this? Like an app that needs to be installed on my PC on where the PowerBI Desktop is installed?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Lester

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Lesteryo,

Have you installed the SAP NetWeaver library on your PC? Make sure the architecture for the SAP NetWeaver library (32-bit or 64-bit) matches your Power BI Desktop installation, then install all files included in the SAP NetWeaver RFC SDK according to the SAP Note.

In other words, when you use 64 bit Power BI Desktop, you would need to install 64 bit  SAP NetWeaver library, when you use 32 bit Power BI Desktop, you would need to install 32 bit  SAP NetWeaver library. Also ensure that you use the latest version of Power BI Desktop, which is available in this link.

Reference:
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-sap-bw-connector/

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Blackjack
Frequent Visitor

If you are wondering where the SAP Netweaver RFC SDK library should be installed, the correct procedure is to simply copy the dll files contained in the SDK library into the C:\Windows\System32 folder, given you are running Power Bi Desktop on Windows.

After you get the SAP Netweaver RFC SDK library 2 .SAR files from Sap Support Portal as described in SAP Note #1025361, extract them to any temp folder using SAPCAR.EXE, which is also obtained from SAP Support Portal. Go into the folders and copy the dll files from the lib folder C:\Windows\System32.

Next open Power BI Desktop, click on 'Get Data' and select 'SAP Business warehouse Server'. The interface to connect to SAP BW server should be available now. If you are planning to use Data Gateway, you shold also copy the SAP RFC SDK dll files to folder C:\Windows\System32 in the machine you are running the gateway.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Rquant

I am currently creating dashboards for a significant procurement/supply chain operation. I have investigated a lot of the commercial vendors for spend analysis such as SpendHQ, Invalua, PRM 360, GEP Smart, Seivo, Coupa, Claritum, Suplari, Zycus.

We use SAP Business warehouse for our procurement data, and I've been using SAP Analysis for Office. I've got a pretty extensive background in data analytics, Power BI, ML, etc. but I have never worked with the SAP BW to Power BI connector. I have heard/read; there are limitations to this connection. (Not all features, data available, etc.)

Has anybody here worked with it enough to have an informed (or uninformed) opinion on the viability of building the spend analysis piece in Power BI with the SAP BW connector?

The commercial solutions are hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, and they don't seem that advanced to me. Lots of data ETL, clustering for category analysis, and some spend analytics AI algorithms to help identify areas of opportunity. (like rouge spending, soon to expire contracts, anomaly/fraud detection and the like)

Thoughts, opinions, feedback, suggestions?????

Thanks in advance!

Blackjack
Frequent Visitor

If you are wondering where the SAP Netweaver RFC SDK library should be installed, the correct procedure is to simply copy the dll files contained in the SDK library into the C:\Windows\System32 folder, given you are running Power Bi Desktop on Windows.

After you get the SAP Netweaver RFC SDK library 2 .SAR files from Sap Support Portal as described in SAP Note #1025361, extract them to any temp folder using SAPCAR.EXE, which is also obtained from SAP Support Portal. Go into the folders and copy the dll files from the lib folder C:\Windows\System32.

Next open Power BI Desktop, click on 'Get Data' and select 'SAP Business warehouse Server'. The interface to connect to SAP BW server should be available now. If you are planning to use Data Gateway, you shold also copy the SAP RFC SDK dll files to folder C:\Windows\System32 in the machine you are running the gateway.

Could you please explain the procedure how to extract .SAR files using SAPCAR.EXE? I have dowloaded version 7.20 to my computer. I have two files NWRFC_45-20004568 and NWRFC_45-20004568.SAR. Thank you for your help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

can you please share the "NWRFC_45-20004568.SAR" file with me? So i can help you

Hi,

Here is the link where you can check the file. Many thanks for your help.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5dpb8viydh84hws/AADpfWBCISKoHRJVWmcRoGPCa?dl=0

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you mnemet,

Question #1 - is this file for Windows 64Bit or Windows 32Bit? I need both versions please

Question #2 - do you have SAPCAR.EXE file as well? if yes could you please share it too?

Rgds,

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Lesteryo,

Have you installed the SAP NetWeaver library on your PC? Make sure the architecture for the SAP NetWeaver library (32-bit or 64-bit) matches your Power BI Desktop installation, then install all files included in the SAP NetWeaver RFC SDK according to the SAP Note.

In other words, when you use 64 bit Power BI Desktop, you would need to install 64 bit  SAP NetWeaver library, when you use 32 bit Power BI Desktop, you would need to install 32 bit  SAP NetWeaver library. Also ensure that you use the latest version of Power BI Desktop, which is available in this link.

Reference:
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-sap-bw-connector/

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors