Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mstefancik
Advocate II
Advocate II

Row level security

Until now I have read that row level security can be only achieved by tabular SSAS.

Speaking about row level security, we can see it has been implemented in SQL Server 2016 and Azure SQL DB v12.

According to this. Does it mean that also user logged in Power BI which pulls data from aforementioned data sources will inherit row level security and see only data he has permission to?

3 REPLIES 3
jldaley86
Advocate II
Advocate II

Has anyone had any luck implementing row level security using Azure SQL DB v12?

I'd also be really interested in if this is actually possible.

Is the username passed to the Azure SQL DB or is it only possible with SSAS?
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

This is a very new feature and I would have to test to be sure but I would think that this would be the case. However, note that this is entirely different than using the Analysis Services Connector to connect to a tabular SSAS model. The reasons is that the Analysis Services Connector is a LIVE connection to the tabular model and implements the user-based/row level security on-the-fly.

Currently, with SQL Server 2016 and Azure SQL DB v12, there is nothing that currently supports a live connection and thus if it does work, it is strictly supported at the time of import and refresh (when data is pulled into the data set). I think that this is an important distinction.

In the first case, you could publish a single dashboard that could be used by everyone and they would only see what they are allowed to see. In the second case, you would have to publish an organizational content pack and everyone would essentially have their own personal version of the dashboard/reports

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors