Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

echo002

Retrieving values instead of GUID's when connecting to Common Data Service or Dynamics 365

Hi All,

Been using Power Bi online for a year or so but new to Power Bi Desktop.  I'm attempting to make reports using a connection to Common Data Service or Dynamics 365.  Though I'm about to pull my hair out because I can't figure out how to get the values for the records instead ot the GUID's.  I've been searching everywhere for info on how to get the values not finding what I'm looking for as of yet.

I'm really hoping that there is an easy way or a setting I'm missing somewhere.  Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you,

Chris 

3 REPLIES 3
Moshood_AK
Regular Visitor

Have you been able to resolve this? if not then you need to import another table that has the information of the system users then create a one-to-many relationship between the systen user and the sales table using the ownerid_value. This should help solve the issue 

v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @echo002 ,

Does the value of record exist in the source, such as some amout of entiy, such as 123, 200, 300,...etc ? Or you mean the index of record such as 1,2,3,..etc?

Based on this documentGUID field is a system generated unique identifier that ensures relationships are created for the create records where ambiguity or duplication may exist with other fields. you can create a relationship within PowerBI desktop between the two entities using a GUID field.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Dong Li,

I'll take a look and see if that document can point me in the right direction.

To give you an example of what I'm running into currently.  Lets say I want to make a Power Bi chart showing sales numbers for each salesperson.  I'd make a connection to either CDS or Dynamics 365, select the relevent entities that I want to add to the chart.  In this case it would be Opportunities and Users.  Then I'd select the desired fields within each entity to add to the chart.  The sales numbers come accross just fine since it's just numbers, but each salesperson is represented by the GUID associated with their name.  So instead of the chart listing John Smith, it list him as DKFICK-CKDKSI-CKDISI-CKSKS or soemthing along those lines.  

I'm trying to import this data in a way that it shows the displayed names for each record instead of the GUID.

Surprised that it's not easier unless I'm missing somehting...

Thank you,

Chris

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors