Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Requiring Parameter to be Entered Upon Opening Report

Hey Everyone,

Is it possible to require an end user to enter a paramter into Power Query when the open the file in Power BI service? I know there is the option to make a parameter Required but I want it to actually prompt the user to enter the parameter when they open the report as opposed to going with the default value until you go in and manually change the parameter.

The use case is as follows:

I work at a CPA firm. We have designed a dashboard to allow tax analysts through managers to see how they are performing in several categories (time to complete a tax return, number of tax returns completed, etc.). However, we do not want everyone to be able to see their peers' dashboards. I am trying to avoid making 200+ individual dashboards to maintain for each individual and I thought if we could require them to enter a username/ password (which is listed as a column in the database), then we can eliminate their ability to see anyone else's information by only pulling in the data connected to that username/ password.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

No, you cannot do that in Power Query (with the exception of templates https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-templates but only on the desktop)

What's your reason for not using RLS in this scenario?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

No, you cannot do that in Power Query (with the exception of templates https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-templates but only on the desktop)

What's your reason for not using RLS in this scenario?

Anonymous
Not applicable

My reason = I had no idea it existed haha RLS seems perfect. Thanks a lot @lbendlin!

I don't suppose RLS can be used  in a report Published to the Web can it? Would be great if we could expand this to some folks that don't actually have Power BI Pro Licenses (but do have O365). I have a similar use case for one of my clients who are not ready to get everyone in their organization a license. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors