Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sonet141
Regular Visitor

Request POST with Json Body

Hi folks, I wish to connect to JDE REST API (REST API for JD Edward ).

How could I build my powerquery to make it work with this Json request: (Example from JDE website) 

{
"token" : "xxxxxxxxx",
"deviceName" : "MyDevice",
"outputType" : "VERSION2",
"targetName" : "F0101",
"targetType" : "table",
"dataServiceType" : "BROWSE",
"maxPageSize" : "10",
"returnControlIDs" : "F0101.AN8|F0101.ALPH|F0101.AT1",
"query" : {
"autoFind" : true,
"condition" : [ {
"value" : [ {
"content" : "7000",
"specialValueId" : "LITERAL"
} ],
"controlId" : "F0101.AN8",
"operator" : "GREATER"
} ]
},
"aggregation" : {
"orderBy" : [ {
"column" : "F0101.AT1",
"direction" : "ASC"
}, {
"column" : "F0101.ALPH",
"direction" : "ASC"
}, {
"column" : "F0101.AN8",
"direction" : "DESC"
} ]
}
}

thanks !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @sonet141 ,

thererfore I'd recommend to use the function Json.FromValue instead:

Easy POST requests with Power BI and Power Query using Json.FromValue – The BIccountant

This means that you have to create the (nested) JSON-structure natively in Power Query and transform that using the function. This will convert booleans correctly, meaning keep them as a proper boolean in JSON.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sonet141 ,

When connecting to REST API and want Post Request, you can try this query:

let
    url = "api address",
    body = "the post method",
    Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents(url,[Content=Text.ToBinary(body),Headers=[#"Content- Type"="application/json"]]))

in
    Source

Refer:

1. Pull data from API using POST method in Power BI 
  2. POST requests with form data. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yingjl 

I am using REST API to fetch the data from 3rd party using POST method, I have used the same parameters in Header, Body in postman, and it is giving me the data in JSON format, but when I am using the same thing in power query, it is giving me an error: Response Msg: Invalid APi credentials

Response code:11

response : NULL
Please have a look in my power query below and help me what is wrong in this :-

let
ApiOwner= "XXXXXXXX",
ApiKey="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX",
url = "https://dentalkart.vineretail.com/RestWS/api/eretail/v3/sku/inventoryStatus",
header= [#"Authorization" = ApiKey & ApiOwner,
#"Content-Type" = "application/x-www-form-urlencoded"],

RequestBody=
"{
""skuCodes"":""[]"",
""fromDate"":""18/06/2021 15:40:30"",
""toDate"":""23/06/2021 15:40:30"",
""pageNumber"":""1"",
""dropShipFlag"":""no"",
""locCode"":""
}",

webdata = Web.Contents(url, [Content = Text.ToBinary(RequestBody), Headers=header]),
response = Json.Document(webdata)

in
response

akashgera_0-1626959494830.png

Any kind of help would really be appreciated !

Hi V-yingjl,

Thanks for your respond.

I've dug a bit into your references. I've decided to import my json file into PWquery instead of writing it inside the M langage. For this purpose, it's called #"incomplete json",

By using the query found on your link StackOverflow, here is my new POST request:

let
url = "myURL",
body = json.document(#"incomplete json"),
BuildQueryString = Uri.BuildQueryString(body),
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents(url,[Headers = [#"Content-Type"="application/json"], Content = Text.ToBinary(BuildQueryString) ] ))
in
Source

I'm getting this error : Expression.Error: The import json.document matches no exports. Did you miss a module reference?

I seem to be not too far from the solution but it's just hard for me to formulate it in PWquery.

Thanks for your help

Hi @sonet141 ,

the M language within Power Query is case sensitive.

So you would have to write Json.Document instead of json.document.

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Hi,

So, I changed my request to make it Case sensitive as you mentionned, and here the answer that I got:

Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value false to type Text.
Details:
Value=FALSE
Type=[Type]

It seems that one of my binary value can't be changed as string.

Is there anything that I'm missing ?

Thanks a lot ! 🙂

Hi @sonet141 ,

thererfore I'd recommend to use the function Json.FromValue instead:

Easy POST requests with Power BI and Power Query using Json.FromValue – The BIccountant

This means that you have to create the (nested) JSON-structure natively in Power Query and transform that using the function. This will convert booleans correctly, meaning keep them as a proper boolean in JSON.

sonet141
Regular Visitor

Hi folks, I wish to connect to JDE REST API (https://docs.oracle.com/en/applications/jd-edwards/cross-product/9.2/rest-api/op-v2-dataservice-post...). How could I build my powerquery to make it work with this Json request: (Example from JDE website) { "token" : "xxxxxxxxxxx", "deviceName" : "MyDevice", "outputType" : "VERSION2", "targetName" : "F0101", "targetType" : "table", "dataServiceType" : "BROWSE", "maxPageSize" : "10", "returnControlIDs" : "F0101.AN8|F0101.ALPH|F0101.AT1", "query" : { "autoFind" : true, "condition" : [ { "value" : [ { "content" : "7000", "specialValueId" : "LITERAL" } ], "controlId" : "F0101.AN8", "operator" : "GREATER" } ] }, "aggregation" : { "orderBy" : [ { "column" : "F0101.AT1", "direction" : "ASC" }, { "column" : "F0101.ALPH", "direction" : "ASC" }, { "column" : "F0101.AN8", "direction" : "DESC" } ] } } Thanks !
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @sonet141 

you can build that nested structure in Power Query and then use the function Json.FromValue to transform it into the required JSON-format for the call.

About Json.FromValue: Easy POST requests with Power BI and Power Query using Json.FromValue – The BIccountant

Best article if you want to refresh in the service: 

http://blog.datainspirations.com/2018/02/17/dynamic-web-contents-and-power-bi-refresh-errors/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors