Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chris_r777

Report using Excel File in SharePoint documents fails for path error

I developed a report that connects to an Excel file I stored in a SharePoint document library. 

Some parameters that will help: 

* Our SharePoint is on-prem. 

* I am using an Enterprise Gateway on a server. 

* There are other reports running sucessfully against Libraries on the same sharepoint instance.

* I have the excel data and other sharepoint data, populating different tables, in the same report. 

The report works fine from my desktop, I can refresh the data all day.  I uploaded it to power bi online and tried to update the gateway with the connection.  I get an error the file cannot be found.  I can take the URL and paste it in windows explorer and the file opens.  (Yes, I did alter the sharepoint instance name to hide my company info)

Any suggestions?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is the error text:

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to . Details: "We could not register this data source for any gateway instances within this cluster. Please find more details below about specific errors for each gateway instance."Hide details
Activity ID:f5414d8b-b8c3-ce56-b056-bff450383840
Request ID:c5fdf9b7-a292-e8ac-b22c-34aef8e657ae
Cluster URI:https://wabi-us-north-central-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Status code:400
Error Code:DMTS_PublishDatasourceToClusterErrorCode
Time:Wed Jul 04 2018 15:46:39 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)
Version:13.0.5780.159
Chris:Cannot connect to the mashup data source. See error details for more information.
Underlying error code:-2147467259
Underlying error message:Could not find file '\\mycompanysharepoint.com@ssl\davwwwroot\department\pmo\acquisitions\documents\2018 budget.xlsx'.
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult:-2147467259
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason:DataSource.Error

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you were to log onto the server that holds your gateway, are you able to access that SharePoint address exactly as it is written?

To put it in another way.  If you had a file on your local computer you would access it like "C:\Folder\File.ext"  however another computer would access it like "\\Computer\Folder\File.ext".

So firstly, the gateway, using the credentials provided, would need to access the SharePoint folder using the exact address you placed into your data source.  In my above example the "C:\Folder\File.ext" wouldn't work on a gateway.  SharePoint is obviously not a local file system, so the access credentials also come into the mix.  There is also the case of where you gateway sits on the network and whether that SharePoint address is accessable from that part of your network.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you were to log onto the server that holds your gateway, are you able to access that SharePoint address exactly as it is written?

To put it in another way.  If you had a file on your local computer you would access it like "C:\Folder\File.ext"  however another computer would access it like "\\Computer\Folder\File.ext".

So firstly, the gateway, using the credentials provided, would need to access the SharePoint folder using the exact address you placed into your data source.  In my above example the "C:\Folder\File.ext" wouldn't work on a gateway.  SharePoint is obviously not a local file system, so the access credentials also come into the mix.  There is also the case of where you gateway sits on the network and whether that SharePoint address is accessable from that part of your network.

Any suggestions on sources for blocking a UNC path from the server?  I checked our firewall and there was no blocked traffic.  I am a site collection admin on sharepoint so its not a permissions issue.  What else can I check?

Well crap, I should have thought of that.  I think in my head, I assumed if other lists were available then the document library should be.   And the answer is no, so I need to check with my firewall team.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors