Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Replacing values in multiple columns based on condition in Power Query

Hello,

I have a table like this:

Date    plan        unplan        internal        external        production         day flag    
1/1/2020    0050706000Production Day
1/2/2020    00000Non-Production Day
1/3/2020    001002001300Down Day
1/4/2020    0030805000Production Day
1/5/2020    001201501000Down Day
1/6/2020    00000Non-Production Day
1/7/2020    00000Non-Production Day

if [day flag] = "Down Day" then replace [plan], [unplan], [internal] and [external] columns with null, else keep original values.

The result like this:

Date    plan        unplan        internal        external         production    day flag
1/1/2020    0050706000Production Day
1/2/2020    00000Non-Production Day
1/3/2020    nullnullnullnull1300Down Day
1/4/2020    0030805000Production Day
1/5/2020    nullnullnullnull1000Down Day
1/6/2020    00000Non-Production Day
1/7/2020    00000Non-Production Day

I use code:

#"Replaced Value1" = Table.ReplaceValue(Source, each [plan], each if [day flag] = "Down Day" then null else [plan],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"plan"}),
#"Replaced Value2" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value1",each [unplan], each if [day flag] = "Down Day" then null else [unplan], Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"unplan"}),
#"Replaced Value3" = ...

#"Replaced Value4" = ...

As you see, I have to repeat same logic 4 times for replace values of [plan], [unplan], [internal] and [external] columns. Actually, in my table, there are 20 columns need do that. I don't want to repeat this logic 20 times.

I was wondering if any better solution for my situation?

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ziying35
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi, @Anonymous 

Based on the simulated data source and the data processing logic you provided, write the query code like this:

= Table.ReplaceValue(Source, each [day flag]="Down Day", null, (x,y,z)=> if y then z else x, List.Range(Table.ColumnNames(Source),1,4))

If my code solves your problem, mark it as a solution

View solution in original post

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

As what is suggested by @ziying35 , I created data to reproduce your scenario. The pbix file is attached in the end.

Table:

d1.png

You may insert a new step as below. On your side, you may add all corresponding columns in {"plan","unplan","internal","external",...}.

= Table.ReplaceValue(Source, each [day flag]="Down Day", null, (x,y,z)=> if y then z else x, List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(#"Changed Type"),
each  List.Contains( {"plan","unplan","internal","external"},_)
)
)

Result:

d2.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Rickmaurinus
Helper V
Helper V

Another way to do it, is the unpivot your columns, and then on the newly created column apply a conditional replace operation. 

= Table.ReplaceValue(
     #"Changed Type",
     each [Value],
     each if [day flag] = "Down Day" then null else [Value],
     Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Value"}
 )

You can find the details on the conditional replace right here: 

https://gorilla.bi/power-query/replace-values/#conditionally-replace-values

--------------------------------------------------

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread

Master Power Query M? -> https://powerquery.how

Read in-depth articles? -> BI Gorilla

Youtube Channel: BI Gorilla

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it more quickly.

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

As what is suggested by @ziying35 , I created data to reproduce your scenario. The pbix file is attached in the end.

Table:

d1.png

You may insert a new step as below. On your side, you may add all corresponding columns in {"plan","unplan","internal","external",...}.

= Table.ReplaceValue(Source, each [day flag]="Down Day", null, (x,y,z)=> if y then z else x, List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(#"Changed Type"),
each  List.Contains( {"plan","unplan","internal","external"},_)
)
)

Result:

d2.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much! Your demostration is really very helpful for understanding the code. It works on my end!

ziying35
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi, @Anonymous 

Based on the simulated data source and the data processing logic you provided, write the query code like this:

= Table.ReplaceValue(Source, each [day flag]="Down Day", null, (x,y,z)=> if y then z else x, List.Range(Table.ColumnNames(Source),1,4))

If my code solves your problem, mark it as a solution

Hi @ziying35 , Sorry for pinging you on this old topic. This method works perfectly if I just want to replace the value with a fixed value (null @ 1 @2, etc). But what if I want to multiple the old value with 1000? For example if the old value is 1000, instead of changing it to null i want to make it 1,000,000.

I tried changing the null to below, but it didn't work.

each _ * 1000

Hi @moonlit337, there are always many ways. Here you can find record base solution. I'm refering to 1st post sample data:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMtQ31DcyMDJQ0lFSAAIQDcKmIMIcRJgZGICogKL8lNLkksz8PAWXxEqlWB2QViNsWpGxX36eLladxth0GoJtMgKThsZgyiW/HFmbCTZtxiDCAuJq3G41xWojWMTQFGo7FhvNyPaiOTk6YwE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, #"    plan    " = _t, #"    unplan    " = _t, #"    internal    " = _t, #"    external    " = _t, #"    production     " = _t, #"    day flag    " = _t]),
    ColumnsTrim = Table.TransformColumnNames(Source, Text.Trim),
    ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(ColumnsTrim,{{"Date", type date}, {"plan", Int64.Type}, {"unplan", Int64.Type}, {"internal", Int64.Type}, {"external", Int64.Type}, {"production", Int64.Type}, {"day flag", type text}}),
    EnterColumnsToReplace = "plan, unplan, internal, external",
    ColsList = List.Transform(Text.Split(EnterColumnsToReplace, ","), Text.Trim),
    Ad_Replaced = Table.AddColumn(ChangedType, "Replaced", each 
        if [day flag] = "Down Day" then Record.Combine({_, Record.TransformFields(Record.SelectFields(_, ColsList), List.Transform(ColsList, (y)=>  {y, (x)=> x * 1000}))}) else _,
  type record ),
    Replaced = Table.FromRecords(Ad_Replaced[Replaced], Value.Type(ChangedType))
in
    Replaced

Note: Check this link to learn how to use my query.
Check this link if you don't know how to provide sample data.

Figured it out minutes after asking this.

= Table.ReplaceValue(
   Source, 
   each [day flag]="Down Day", 
   each _, // this step become redundant, but needed to fill the syntax requirement
   // (x,y,z)=> if y then z else x, --- this is the original one, below is edited.
   (x,y,z)=> if y then x*1000 else x,  // we just ignore z, and replace it with x*1000
   List.Range(Table.ColumnNames(Source),1,4)
)

Hey ziying35.

I included your solution in my blogpost at https://gorilla.bi/power-query/replace-values/

However, I'm accustomed to working with Replacer.ReplaceValues and Replacer.ReplaceText. I don't fully understand your example. 

Can you elaborate on the inner workings of : 

(x,y,z)=> if y then z else x?

Warm regards,

Rick

Simple understanding: the second parameter of the function Table.ReplaceValue is represented by y, the third parameter is represented by z, and the replaced element itself is represented by x

Hi ziying,

Thanks for adding the clarification. I could imagine in my head that happens. I'm just stumbled by how you thought of doing this, please help me understand. 

No where does it say that Y represents the Table function, or that the third parameters should be the Z or what X should do. 

If I can ask

1. How did you come up with this in the first place? Is there any documentation on this? 

2. In theory, you could have replaced the function letters with any other letter, correct? 

Best,

Rick

1. this use, I also happened to see in other places, I can not remember the place,.
2. Yes, there is nothing wrong, you can use any other letters instead

You can replace it with any string you want.

(original,logiccheck,alternative)=> if logiccheck then alternative else original

Yes, the documentation is a bit sparse on this.  Here's a slight hint:

Replacer.ReplaceValue - PowerQuery M | Microsoft Docs

It's misleading, but at least it mentions parameters 🙂

I have a suspicion that this approach can be used for other M functions as well.  Didn't have time to test it yet.

x = original value

y = match condition  (true or false)

z = replacement value

edhans
Super User
Super User

You can include multiple columns in the list. This is a text replacement. Just add more columns in the list brackets {}

Table.ReplaceValue(#"Filtered Rows","a","g",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Stock Item", "Color", "Selling Package"})

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors