Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Replace values with text contains

I Have this table

USERSCHOOL
posada@school1.com 
ling@school1.com 
carla@school14.comschool4
mark@school1.comschool1
Alex@school1.comschool1
alexandra@school1.com 
justen@school2.comschool2
marcel@school3.comschool3
anna@hotmail.comschool5

and I have to replace some null values with "school1". The problems is:

- the problem is always with school1;

- I need do take the email domain as a key to identifying the missing values from school1; 

- If I have other null values in collumn SCHOOL different of "school1" must continue null, but all lines that have @school1 in USER must have school1 in SCHOOL.

I tried this formula, but it fail

= Table.ReplaceValue(#"Filtered Rows", each [SCHOOL], each if Text.Contains([USER], "school1") then "school1" else [SCHOOL], Replacer.ReplaceText, {"SCHOOL"})

It didn't change at all the table. What am I doing wrong?

6 REPLIES 6
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @massotebernoull 

Maybe you have found a solution, but since there is not an answer yet here, I'd like to share my ideas. 😉

You can add a custom column for SCHOOL column and remove the original one. I add [SCHOOL]="" in the if statement. You need to trim SCHOOL column (go to Transform > Format > Trim) before adding this custom column in case there is any invisible space in it.

= Table.AddColumn(#"Trimmed Text", "Custom", each if [SCHOOL]="" and Text.Contains([USER],"@school1.com") then "school1" else [SCHOOL])

21110303.jpg

If you want to replace values in the original column, you can use below code to add a step.

= Table.ReplaceValue(#"Trimmed Text", each [SCHOOL], each if [SCHOOL]="" and Text.Contains([USER],"school1.com") then "school1" else [SCHOOL], Replacer.ReplaceValue, {"SCHOOL"})

21110304.jpg

If you have other solutions, can you share them here to help more people who may have similar questions?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

= Table.ReplaceValue(#"Filtered Rows", each [USER],"school1",(x,y,z)=>if Text.Contains(y, "school1") then z else x, {"SCHOOL"})

watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Might be easiest to add a column:

= Table.AddColumn(TableName, "Corrected", each if Text.Contains([User], "@school1.com") then "school1" else [User], type text)

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

I Have this table

USERSCHOOL
posada@school1.com 
ling@school1.com 
carla@school14.comschool4
mark@school1.comschool1
Alex@school1.comschool1
alexandra@school1.com 
justen@school2.comschool2
marcel@school3.comschool3
anna@hotmail.comschool5

and I have to replace some null values with "school1". The problems is:

- the problem is always with school1;

- I need do take the email domain as a key to identifying the missing values from school1; 

- If I have other null values in collumn SCHOOL different of "school1" must continue null, but all lines that have @school1 in USER must have school1 in SCHOOL.

I tried this formula, but it fail

= Table.ReplaceValue(#"Filtered Rows", each [SCHOOL], each if Text.Contains([USER], "school1") then "school1" else [SCHOOL], Replacer.ReplaceText, {"SCHOOL"})

It didn't change at all the table. What am I doing wrong?

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Your code worked for me.  The only change I made was to use "school1.com" instead of just "school1" in the Text.Contains, as school14 contains school1 for example.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Sorry for not specifying it properly.

I need that only null lines that have "@school1.com" in column USER change to "school1" in column SCHOOL.

Other null values from other schools must continue as they are.

Thanks for replying @mahoneypat !

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors