Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ThomasSan
Helper III
Helper III

Replace text with content from other column

Hi everyone,

I am attempting to dynamically replace the headers of my table. My headers contain the string BLY, LY and CY which stand for "Before Last Year", "Last Year" and "Current Year", respectively. 

My steps so far were as follows:

- Managed to modify Excel data file so it contains the rows with the desired replacement values (i.e. 2019, 2020 and 2021)

- Transposed my table (before setting the first row as my column headers) so that I have all my column headers listed in one row (see screenshot)

ThomasSan_0-1638525087702.png

- Using the "Replace Values" button, I have created the formula 

= Table.ReplaceValue(#"Transposed Table","BLY","2019",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column1"})

which successfully replaces all BLY to 2019

Now, as I would prefer to not change my hard coded replacement value each year when the corresponding years of BLY, LY and CY change, I would like to have my headers changed dynamically. I therefore attempted to modify the formula above with 

= Table.ReplaceValue(#"Transposed Table","BLY",{32}[Column2],Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column1"})

However, my result was as follows:

ThomasSan_1-1638525277889.png

It seems that this is not a viable option. Can someone please help me find the correct formula in order to produce the desired result?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

What is the error message?

If it's complaining that 2019 isn't text, then you can wrap #"Transposed Table"{30}[Column2] with Text.From.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

The error is because it thinks you're trying to reference the Column2 field of the single element list { 32 }.

I think this is what you intended:

= Table.ReplaceValue(#"Transposed Table","BLY",#"Transposed Table"{30}[Column2],Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column1"})

Hi @AlexisOlson ,

thank you for your reply. You are right, {32} was an error. Having applied your formula, however, I only get errors generated in column1.

ThomasSan_0-1638700773032.png

Do you have any idea where the problem lies?

P.S.: = #"Transposed Table"{30}[Column2] is at least generating the right value (i.e. 2019)

ThomasSan_1-1638700917822.png

What is the error message?

If it's complaining that 2019 isn't text, then you can wrap #"Transposed Table"{30}[Column2] with Text.From.

@AlexisOlson 

great, that was the final key! Thanks a lot for your help!

for others

the final formula should read 

= Table.ReplaceValue(#"Transposed Table","BLY",Text.from(#"Transposed Table"{30}[Column2]),Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column1"})

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors