Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Replace null(s) in a list

I’m new to M language and I need help regarding converting JSON data using Power Query. As a whole, the process is working however when a “null” is encountered such as shown in the “list” view below, and the “Extracted Values” function is invoked, not all indexed rows (13) are included in the output string (only 12 rows are past to the string). Therefore, when the Split Column by Delimiter (;) function is invoked the data in the converted table doesn’t aligned properly under the respective headers.  To further complicate things, the nulls locations are random and can be more than one.

Question: Is there a way to replace all “nulls” with a value such as a -1?  This would retain all 13 rows in the transformation process.  I have tried a few of the “list” functions but I could not get any to work… 

Any examples would be greatly appreciated!

Example list view:

Power Query List View.jpg

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi!

The only replacement needed in your situation is {null, "NA"}, without quotes on null, and that's why your first code works and the second one doesn't.

Your function should work properly this way:

(others as list) =>

let

listA = List.ReplaceMatchingItems(others, {{null, "NA"}})

in

listA

I'm glad I could help you. See ya.

View solution in original post

Hi @Anonymous 

Because in Power query, null means null value type, "null" mean a text field which its value is "null".

In your example, your data example show null value type, so the query with {{"null", "NA"}} doesn't work.

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, with the cryptic documentation I was able find a function that worked.  However, please explain why the “search text” and the “replacement text” requires duplication when only searching for one issue type (e.g.  null)?    

This format of the code works (all nulls are replaced):

listA = List.ReplaceMatchingItems(others, {{"null", "NA"}, {null, "NA"}})

This format of the code doesn’t work, (there are no errors however, none of the nulls are replaced):

listA = List.ReplaceMatchingItems(others, {{"null", "NA"}})

Here’s the complete function that works:

(others as list) =>

let

listA = List.ReplaceMatchingItems(others, {{"null", "NA"}, {null, "NA"}})

in

listA

Hi @Anonymous 

Because in Power query, null means null value type, "null" mean a text field which its value is "null".

In your example, your data example show null value type, so the query with {{"null", "NA"}} doesn't work.

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi!

The only replacement needed in your situation is {null, "NA"}, without quotes on null, and that's why your first code works and the second one doesn't.

Your function should work properly this way:

(others as list) =>

let

listA = List.ReplaceMatchingItems(others, {{null, "NA"}})

in

listA

I'm glad I could help you. See ya.

bluedatenbrian
Advocate II
Advocate II

HI mmarino,

It has a try-otherwise statement available and may it help you. Like: try Extracted Values[...] otherwise null.

But I think if you build a function to extract that list, you'll solve your problem:

Choose one of this lines and click on List to expand only that list. Then you can replace null values. When you have it done, duplicate your source and convert it to a function by adding "(var as <type>) =>" and make the first one use it.

Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

Hi, try using this in a custom column:

List.ReplaceMatchingItems([Column1.values],{{null,-1}})

Regards

Victor

Lima - Peru

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors