Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Replace formula for mutliple conditions

Hi, Looking to replace all bill period code 31 to 19 and then 10 to 1 for one biller_name VTNS. Below is the formula I am trying and getting a token literal expected error. Can I do a replace on the column as a step rather than adding a custom column? If so, I need to add additional column, named "bill period trans_2".

If the data fits neither condition, I want the bill period to remain the same

Table.ReplaceValue(#"New Column", each [BILLING_PERIOD_CD], each if [Biller Name Lookup.Biller Name] = "VTNS" and [BILLING_PERIOD_CD] = "31" and then "19" else [BILLING_PERIOD_CD],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{" BILLING_PERIOD_CD "})

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

If you want to add a custom column, please try these codes:

= Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each if [Biller Name] = "VTNS" and [BILLING_PERIOD_CD] = "31" then "19" else if [Biller Name] = "VTNS" and [BILLING_PERIOD_CD] = "10" then "1" else [BILLING_PERIOD_CD])

If you want to replace values in the original column, please try these codes:

= Table.ReplaceValue(#"Duplicated Column",each [BILLING_PERIOD],each if [Biller Name]="VTNS" and [BILLING_PERIOD]="31" then "19" else if [Biller Name]="VTNS" and [BILLING_PERIOD]="10" then "1" else [BILLING_PERIOD],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"BILLING_PERIOD"})

Here are the complete codes you can copy to a blank query to check the behaviors. I add a duplicate column [BILLING_PERIOD] of column [BILLING_PERIOD_CD] to perform the replace step to make it observed more clearly.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjZU0lEKC/ELVorViVYyNEDhmSLzjFDksOiLBAIIzwjOiwUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [BILLING_PERIOD_CD = _t, #"Biller Name" = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each if [Biller Name] = "VTNS" and [BILLING_PERIOD_CD] = "31" then "19" else if [Biller Name] = "VTNS" and [BILLING_PERIOD_CD] = "10" then "1" else [BILLING_PERIOD_CD]),
    #"Duplicated Column" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Added Custom", "BILLING_PERIOD_CD", "BILLING_PERIOD"),
    Custom1 = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Duplicated Column",each [BILLING_PERIOD],each if [Biller Name]="VTNS" and [BILLING_PERIOD]="31" then "19" else if [Biller Name]="VTNS" and [BILLING_PERIOD]="10" then "1" else [BILLING_PERIOD],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"BILLING_PERIOD"})
in
    Custom1

Kindly let me know if this helps.
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

If you want to add a custom column, please try these codes:

= Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each if [Biller Name] = "VTNS" and [BILLING_PERIOD_CD] = "31" then "19" else if [Biller Name] = "VTNS" and [BILLING_PERIOD_CD] = "10" then "1" else [BILLING_PERIOD_CD])

If you want to replace values in the original column, please try these codes:

= Table.ReplaceValue(#"Duplicated Column",each [BILLING_PERIOD],each if [Biller Name]="VTNS" and [BILLING_PERIOD]="31" then "19" else if [Biller Name]="VTNS" and [BILLING_PERIOD]="10" then "1" else [BILLING_PERIOD],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"BILLING_PERIOD"})

Here are the complete codes you can copy to a blank query to check the behaviors. I add a duplicate column [BILLING_PERIOD] of column [BILLING_PERIOD_CD] to perform the replace step to make it observed more clearly.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjZU0lEKC/ELVorViVYyNEDhmSLzjFDksOiLBAIIzwjOiwUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [BILLING_PERIOD_CD = _t, #"Biller Name" = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each if [Biller Name] = "VTNS" and [BILLING_PERIOD_CD] = "31" then "19" else if [Biller Name] = "VTNS" and [BILLING_PERIOD_CD] = "10" then "1" else [BILLING_PERIOD_CD]),
    #"Duplicated Column" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Added Custom", "BILLING_PERIOD_CD", "BILLING_PERIOD"),
    Custom1 = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Duplicated Column",each [BILLING_PERIOD],each if [Biller Name]="VTNS" and [BILLING_PERIOD]="31" then "19" else if [Biller Name]="VTNS" and [BILLING_PERIOD]="10" then "1" else [BILLING_PERIOD],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"BILLING_PERIOD"})
in
    Custom1

Kindly let me know if this helps.
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Could you tell me 1. What is wrong with my code above since it is an add column if then else statement? 2. Can I add two if statements to cover the change in both bill periods for the one biller rather than two columns?

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

A custom column is easiest since a column transformation doesn't allow for referencing other columns.

It is possible with row transformations though. See for example my answer to a similar question here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/65887249/table-transformcolumns-by-columns-value

Anonymous
Not applicable

Specficially, I'm not getting any syntax errors now, but am getting an error that "New Column" doesn't correct or isn't spelled right - I thought this function was adding that new column as well?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors