Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dlopez
Advocate I
Advocate I

Replace entire column text value

Hi,

I want to replace values in a text column but matching only entire values.

That is, I want to match "CAPITAL FED" but not "CAPITAL FEDERAL" (it's Spanish 😉)

I tried to use Transform > Replace values in Power BI Desktop and enabled option "Match entire cell contents" but noticed that this causes Replacer.ReplaceText to change to Replacer.ReplaceValue in Power Query code, what doesn't match anything.

I think Replacer.ReplaceValue is for numeric values but no sure since its doc (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/replacer-functions) is very poor

Bellow is the full code:

= Table.ReplaceValue(#"Otras columnas quitadas","CAPITAL FED","CAPITAL FEDERAL",Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"localidad"})

My question is why is the replacer changed and what is the solution to achieve the replacement (e. g. is there any way to use regular expresions?)

Thany you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
camargos88
Community Champion
Community Champion

@dlopez ,

Can you give some example of it? I tried here the option to Match entire cell contents, it worked.

Have you tried clean/trim this column before the replace ?

Capture.PNG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Rickmaurinus
Helper V
Helper V

Hi,

I wrote some about the different between the two replacer functions. Replacer.ReplaceText also replaces substrings, whereas Replacer.ReplaceValue only matches the entire cell contents. If you like, I posted some screenshots in this article about the difference:

https://gorilla.bi/power-query/replace-values/#replacer-functions

Hope that helps!

Rick

--------------------------------------------------

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread

Master Power Query M? -> https://powerquery.how

Read in-depth articles? -> BI Gorilla

Youtube Channel: BI Gorilla

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it more quickly.

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dlopez , 

Based on this document, I think when columns have numeric or other types, it will use replacer.replacevalue. In addition, which part don't work? If possible, could you please inform me more detailed information(such as your expected output and your sample data (by OneDrive for Business))? Then I will help you more correctly.

Please do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Thanks for your understanding and support.
Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

camargos88
Community Champion
Community Champion

@dlopez ,

Can you give some example of it? I tried here the option to Match entire cell contents, it worked.

Have you tried clean/trim this column before the replace ?

Capture.PNG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

You are right.

I didn't realize the the strings have trailing spaces. That's why "Match entire cell contents" did not match anything.

From the point of view of the code, I insist that the documentation about Replacer.ReplaceValue (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/replacer-functions) is not clear at all.

Regards

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

One way would be to add a Suffix like "#" to your column on the transform tab, then replace Capital Fed#.  When you are done you can simply replace # with null (leave the replace field empty).

If this solution works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.
Regards,
Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors