Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

KNP
Super User
Super User

Replace Values in Column Conditionally using Rules Table

Hi,

There are a few similar posts like this but I haven't been able to adapt them to solve my problem. I'm looking to create a function that will do this replacement so that it can be dynamic.

Sample Data:

= Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("fc5NC8MgDAbg/+K5F933MbbbsdeBxcOwZcrEgtP/X53bCNschBDIQ94MA4GobvbiRtIQ4G3qqShbpc4YyzOlRDa/3Xqzxa4Od/tDgbWT3fH0jE67LPHF82Stcdcwu2L62Qddxof7RkKIsn+lVhxGb9Fqb+5B6ehVTgEAxPBf/yB2XXTTaHIe5/yTECkX", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [City = _t, Customer = _t, Location = _t, Supplier = _t, Data1 = _t, Data2 = _t])

I want to conditionally replace values in the City column using the Rules table. 

Rules:

= Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUXIsTc7OScxLATGdnIEkEBkaGYO42Tl++UUlGUqxOtFKRjiUmpiaQZQG55dClRrjUGpuYQlRGp5aXAJWaQLkh6fm5GTmpZfk50FUQawEM4FSCAeYoquNioqCKINIQO2PBQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Id = _t, City = _t, Customer = _t, Location = _t, Supplier = _t, ActualCity = _t])

I would like to use all the columns in the Rules table (except the Id and ActualCity) to compare with the Data table. The Rules table will grow including new columns. Blanks can be ignored, e.g. Rule 4 only needs to use 'City' and 'Location' to check the Data table. For all matching rows, replace the values in the City column with the 'ActualCity' value. 

Desired Result:

= Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("fc+9CsMgEADgd3HOov0fNWnHLh0CBodipErEQKLvXzU1vXQoHMfhfdydXYfoYO/j5DWqEGV1zDEw2cVMCEk1xkhU2T3GsHX7wxG6FbZq9tCdzpfFbScGOdin6+NTc719NsdeknBgq9YLY4Ayq0LKcZzzpVs2bpQ17uVHt4rv+VnUejKzlzpMMn+UUsDgTf8gdE1wqjdpH2PslyAh3g==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [City = _t, Customer = _t, Location = _t, Supplier = _t, Data1 = _t, Data2 = _t])

I'm happy to unpivot the rules if it makes it easier to solve the problem:

let
        Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUXIsTc7OScxLATGdnIEkEBkaGYO42Tl++UUlGUqxOtFKRjiUmpiaQZQG55dClRrjUGpuYQlRGp5aXAJWaQLkh6fm5GTmpZfk50FUQawEM4FSCAeYoquNioqCKINIQO2PBQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Id = _t, City = _t, Customer = _t, Location = _t, Supplier = _t, ActualCity = _t]),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(Source,"",null,Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Customer", "Location", "Supplier"}),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Replaced Value", {"Id", "ActualCity"}, "Attribute", "Value")
in
    #"Unpivoted Columns"

I'd really appreciate any help from the M code gurus out there.

Regards,

Kim

Have I solved your problem?
Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos.
It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
If you find my signature vaguely amusing, please give Kudos.
KIfp67uy-Sr
Proud to be a Super User!PBI-Super-User-Rank-30x30-1x
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

test if this is right for you:

Table.FromRecords(Table.TransformRows(dataTab, (x)=> Record.Combine({x,[City=
(try Table.SelectRows(ruleTab, each ([Customer]=x[Customer] or x[Customer]="") and ([location]=x[location] or x[location]="" ))[ActualCity]{0} otherwise x[City])]})))

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

this solution tries to allow control over the list of relevant columns:

let
    relCols={"Customer","location"},

matchCity=(rTab,dTabRow,rCols) => [ dTabRowValues= Record.FieldValues(Record.SelectFields(dTabRow,rCols)), 
newCity= try Table.SelectRows(rTab, each List.ContainsAll( Record.FieldValues(_),dTabRowValues))[ActualCity]{0} 
otherwise dTabRow[City]] [newCity],
    tab=Table.FromRecords(Table.TransformRows(dataTab, each _&[City=matchCity(ruleTab,_,relCols)]))
in
    tab

Thanks @Anonymous , your first solution works so thank you for that. I would like to dive a little deeper into your second solution as I think it will be more future proof. I'm getting some results that don't match what I'm expecting and I think it is because I don't fully understand how it is working.

See screenshots below. In this example I would have wanted the City to stay as is (row 7 of the results) i.e. Wellington, like it has for row 4 in the results below (Auckland). Are you able to help my understand your code a little more?

Source (highlight = the row that shouldn't change):

Source.png

Rules (highlight = the rule being applied to the result):

Rules.png

Results:

Result.png

Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
KIfp67uy-Sr
Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem could be the interpretation (mine or yours) of the "relevant columns" 😀.
Which columns do you intend to use as a key to select the rows on which to make the changes?

Another important aspect to be clarified is related to the logical consistency of the rules.
Take, for example, rules 4 and 5. If there is a record in the data table that has city = Wellington, customer = ZZZ and location = North, what do you do?

The relevant columns would be any in the rules table except Id and ActualCity if not blank.

City will always be populated. The other columns would be optional. 

Blank should be ignored so only columns that have values should be used to evaluate the data table. 

I'm happy to unpivot the rules if it makes it easier. 

I think the short answer to your second question is that the rules won't exist like that (or data won't).

What would happen in your code if they did? Process twice (in order) therefore getting the second result after processing is complete or only process once and then not match again? 

chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

KIfp67uy-Sr
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems to me that works. perhaps you should change column type to text and cell value "null" to empty, i.e. ""

here how (with little change), although I used fewer rows and fewer columns than you used:

let
    relCols={"Customer","Location","Supplier"},
    matchCity=(rTab,dTabRow,rCols) => [ dTabRowValues= Record.FieldValues(Record.SelectFields(dTabRow,rCols)), 
                                        newCity= try Table.SelectRows(rTab, each List.ContainsAll( Record.FieldValues(_),dTabRowValues))[ActualCity]{0} otherwise dTabRow[City]] 
                                        [newCity]
in Table.FromRecords(Table.TransformRows(dataTab, each _&[City=matchCity(ruleTab,_,relCols)]))

about your question

What would happen in your code if they did? Process twice (in order) therefore getting the second result after processing is complete or only process once and then not match again?
the following piece of code

Table.SelectRows(rTab, each List.ContainsAll( Record.FieldValues(_),dTabRowValues))[ActualCity]{0}

select the first of the rules that the current row of the data table meets.

But this behavior can eventually be changed

Anonymous
Not applicable

this version should take into account the type of columns and the list of irrelevant chars / text (like: null, empy, blank, and so on).
So maybe 😁you shouldn't worry about it 😀.

let
    irrFieldValues={""," ",null, "QuelloCheVogliO"},

MyList.ContainsAll=[MLCA=(listRules,listData,nullChars)=> List.ContainsAll(listRules,listData, 
                        (x,y)=>List.Contains({Text.From(x)}&irrFieldValues,Text.From(y)))][MLCA],

newCity= try Table.SelectRows(rTab, each MyList.ContainsAll( Record.FieldValues(_),dTabRowValues,irrFieldValues))[ActualCity]{0} otherwise dTabRow[City]] 
                                        [newCity]

in Table.FromRecords(Table.TransformRows(dataTab, each _&[City=matchCity(ruleTab,_,relCols)]))

T

Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems to me that works,although in my test I used tables with fewer rows and columns than those shown by you.

Perhaps you should make typeof your column text type and modify, if any, "null" cell to empty cell, i.e. "".

Here how (little change to the previuos version):

let
                                        newCity= try Table.SelectRows(rTab, each List.ContainsAll( Record.FieldValues(_),dTabRowValues))[ActualCity]{0} otherwise dTabRow[City]] 
                                        [newCity]

About your question:

this piece of code:

Table.SelectRows(rTab, each List.ContainsAll( Record.FieldValues(_),dTabRowValues))[ActualCity]{0}

takes the first matched rule. but you can eventually change the behavior

ziying35
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi, @KNP 

my code as below:

// Output
let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("fc5NC8MgDAbg/+K5F933MbbbsdeBxcOwZcrEgtP/X53bCNschBDIQ94MA4GobvbiRtIQ4G3qqShbpc4YyzOlRDa/3Xqzxa4Od/tDgbWT3fH0jE67LPHF82Stcdcwu2L62Qddxof7RkKIsn+lVhxGb9Fqb+5B6ehVTgEAxPBf/yB2XXTTaHIe5/yTECkX", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [City = _t, Customer = _t, Location = _t, Supplier = _t, Data1 = _t, Data2 = _t]),
    chType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"City", type text}, {"Customer", type text}, {"Location", type text}, {"Supplier", Int64.Type}, {"Data1", Int64.Type}, {"Data2", Int64.Type}}),
    rules = Table.Buffer(Rules),
    fx = (rec, matchlist)=>try rules[ActualCity]{Table.PositionOf(rules, rec, 0, matchlist )} otherwise rec[City],
    trans = Table.TransformRows(chType,each let m =List.FirstN(Record.FieldNames(_),4), r=Record.SelectFields(_, m) in _&[City= fx(r, m)]),
    result = Table.FromRecords(trans)
in
    result

Anonymous
Not applicable

test if this is right for you:

Table.FromRecords(Table.TransformRows(dataTab, (x)=> Record.Combine({x,[City=
(try Table.SelectRows(ruleTab, each ([Customer]=x[Customer] or x[Customer]="") and ([location]=x[location] or x[location]="" ))[ActualCity]{0} otherwise x[City])]})))

@Anonymous - Thanks for all your help on this. After much testing I've decided to go with a variation of your first answer. The others were very promising but I was getting mixed results. Performance was certainly a consideration on a relatively large dataset.

chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

KIfp67uy-Sr

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors