Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lukitoperkoso
Regular Visitor

Replace Value But Not the First Match

Hi, I am trying to clean a manual input file.

So, I have a cell of one column with content like this: abc123abc456abc789

(1) and I want to replace the "abc" to become like this: abc123, abc456, abc789 (so excluding the first "abc" to be replaced).

(2) the next step is I want to split the content to be like this:

column 1>column 123column 456column 789
abc123, abc456, abc789 abc123abc456abc789
abc456, abc789  abc456abc789
abc123, abc789 abc123 abc789

Please be advised that I would like to have each of the steps get a solution.

Hope I can get the answer to it here.

Thanks all!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

Solve your two problems at one go

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WSkxKNjQyBpImpmZA0tzCUilWByyMIQBRBxaIBQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Split Column" = Table.SplitColumn(Source, "Column1", Splitter.SplitTextByCharacterTransition({"0".."9"}, (c) => not List.Contains({"0".."9"}, c))),
    #"Removed Nulls" = List.Transform(Table.ToRows(#"Split Column"), each Table.FromRecords({List.Accumulate(_, [], (s,c) => if not (c is null) then Record.AddField(s, Text.Select(c, {"0".."9"}), c) else s)})),
    #"Combined Tables" = Table.Combine(#"Removed Nulls")
in
    #"Combined Tables"

Screenshot 2021-06-20 114153.png

PS: my favorable solution with regular expression

Screenshot 2021-06-20 132625.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

Solve your two problems at one go

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WSkxKNjQyBpImpmZA0tzCUilWByyMIQBRBxaIBQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Split Column" = Table.SplitColumn(Source, "Column1", Splitter.SplitTextByCharacterTransition({"0".."9"}, (c) => not List.Contains({"0".."9"}, c))),
    #"Removed Nulls" = List.Transform(Table.ToRows(#"Split Column"), each Table.FromRecords({List.Accumulate(_, [], (s,c) => if not (c is null) then Record.AddField(s, Text.Select(c, {"0".."9"}), c) else s)})),
    #"Combined Tables" = Table.Combine(#"Removed Nulls")
in
    #"Combined Tables"

Screenshot 2021-06-20 114153.png

PS: my favorable solution with regular expression

Screenshot 2021-06-20 132625.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Here's one way to do it in the query editor.  To see how it works, just create a blank query, open the Advanced Editor and replace the text there with the M code below.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WSkxK1gNiQyNjEGViagaizC0slWJ14JLYRaFawKKxAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Extracted Text After Delimiter" = Table.TransformColumns(Source, {{"Column1", each Text.AfterDelimiter(_, "abc."), type text}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Extracted Text After Delimiter", "Column1", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(".", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Column1", "Column2", "Column3"}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Split Column by Delimiter", "Index", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Added Index", {"Index"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", "Custom", each "Column" & Text.AfterDelimiter([Value], "abc")),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Attribute"}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Removed Columns", List.Distinct(#"Removed Columns"[Custom]), "Custom", "Value"),
    #"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Pivoted Column",{"Index"})
in
    #"Removed Columns1"

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Hi Pat,

Thanks for answering. It seems to answer my second problem.

But how to solve my first problem? Actually, my initial string doesn't have a dot separating each "abc"s.  I still need to replace the "abc123abc456abc789" with "abc123, abc456, abc789" (replace "abc" to ", abc" but starting on the second abc/excluding the first abc). that way so that I can split using ", " delimiter to each individual column in an efficient manner.

also, do you have any solution to make it dynamic in case in the future I get more and more "abc" for the column split? because in my example, we only have 3 "abc"s and when I reproduce using 4 "abc"s I still have to open Settings in Split Column step to correctly split the 4th "abc".

Hope my questions and description are clear enough.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors