Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Replace Characters in Column Names

I'm sure there is a simple solution to this question, but everything I've found deals with renaming an entire column or replacing values within the table itself.

Problem: I have an ETL tool that extracts data to Google BigQuery. The column names in the source data are dynamic dates, as this is time series financiancial data. When the data goes into BigQuery, the column names get reformatted. For instance, "4/18/2020" becomes "_4_18_2020". I need to be able to rename the columns back to the source format so the dates work with my DAX functions.

I have explored Table.ColumnNames but can't seem to figure out how to use that function to convert the column formats to "MM/DD/YY" and I can't seem to find the answer online.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous  

you should use "Unpivot other columns" to push your dates into column values.

Then do simple text replacements.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous  

you should use "Unpivot other columns" to push your dates into column values.

Then do simple text replacements.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors