Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

eskyline
Resolver I
Resolver I

Removing columns from text import with Power Query, does Power BI have to read all columns first?

Hi folks,

If you import a csv in Power BI, then in Power Query select to remove columns, does Power BI have to read all the columns first as it processes the file, and then remove them?

This is a question because I've got users consuming on-prem files with 5M+ rows/20+ columns.  They only need 5 of the columns for example.  When I publish the report to the Power BI service and then schedule the refresh I'm guessing my Power BI Gateway is having to read all the columns from the file, then delimit it, then remove the unused as requested in the Power BI step.  That puts additional load on the gateway (?).  If the data was in a SQL Server database then we could just restrict the columns at the database level via the SELECT list and/or Power BI would do it via query folding if we didn't directly specify the SQL statement for the import.

Any input is appreciated

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @eskyline 

To speed up performance of power query, please refer to:

Speeding up power query

Table.Buffer for cashing intermediate query results or how workaround Unnecessary Queries Issue

Performance Tip for Power BI; Enable Load Sucks Memory Up

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @eskyline 

i think that when the data source is a file there is no way to speed up. So no query folding etc. 

Do you any other transforming on the data like Table.AddColumn etc?

If yes, then try to put Table.Buffer around your 2nd step

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors