Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing Items from List if comparison criteria on next value(s) not met

I have a list of numbers and I need to ensure that each number is at least 2 * more than the next number and remove it if it's not.

For example, I have this list of numbers.  The orange highlighted numbers need to be removed from the list:

image.png

This is what I've got so far, but I think the last step brings me right back to my original problem so I'm stuck again.

#"List Unique Values" = List.Sort(List.Distinct(Table.Column(#"Table1","Value")), Order.Descending),
#"Table Unique Values" = Table.FromList(#"List Unique Values",Splitter.SplitByNothing(),{"Value"}),
#"Add Values List to Table" = Table.AddColumn(#"Table Unique Values", "Values", each #"List Unique Values"),
#"Expanded Values" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Add Values List to Table", "Values"),
#"Compare" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Values","Compare", each if [Value] = [Values] then true else if [Value] > 2 * [Values] then true else false),

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Nathaniel_C 

I was actually just looking at that link!  It ultimately helped me come up with the following solution:

(values as list) as list =>
let
    sorted = List.Sort(List.Distinct(values), Order.Descending),

comparingValues = (n as number, valuesToCompare as list) =>
        let
            valueToCompare = valuesToCompare{n},
            Nullify = List.Transform(List.Sort(List.Distinct(valuesToCompare), Order.Descending), 
                each 
                if _ = null then null
                else if _ = valueToCompare then _ 
                else if _ > 2 * valueToCompare then _ 
                else if _ < valueToCompare/2 then _
                else null
            ),
            RemoveNulls = List.RemoveItems(Nullify, {null})
        in 
            RemoveNulls,

finalValues = List.Generate(
        () => [n=0, myList = sorted, count=List.Count(sorted)],
        each [n] <= [count],
        each [n=[n]+1, myList=comparingValues([n], [myList]), count=List.Count([myList])]
    )
in
    finalValues

I orginally tried not having the count variable in the List.Generate function but it kept throwing a "not enough elements in the enumeration" error.

Works great!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Not sure of your logic, but this is what your sentence says to me:

"I have a list of numbers and I need to ensure that each number is at least 2 * more than the next number and remove it if it's not."

So we start with the first number and compare it to the next number. Then the first number must be more than 2* greater than the next number then remove " it". What is "it"? the first number or the second?

49.97 *2 =    99.94 right? So remove the rest of the list? Because each number that is removed, then the first number that is left is then the next number to compare.

Give us more explanation please,

Nathaniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Nathaniel_C ,

I want to compare the first number to the second number.  If the first is not 2 * greater than the second, remove the second and keep comparing down the list removing numbers until I find a number where the first is 2 * greater.   

Then I want to traverse the newly updated list again, but starting with the second number, and so on...

So the end result would be a list where each number is at least 2 * greater than the one that follows.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Wow! Thanks for this opportunity! As you described the issue, my background in programming said that sounds like a loop.  Don't think so...however this blog post describes how to create a loop in M language. https://potyarkin.ml/posts/2017/loops-in-power-query-m-language/

Do you have programming background? Try it and let me know. Otherwise if I have some time, I will try it this weekend.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Nathaniel_C 

I was actually just looking at that link!  It ultimately helped me come up with the following solution:

(values as list) as list =>
let
    sorted = List.Sort(List.Distinct(values), Order.Descending),

comparingValues = (n as number, valuesToCompare as list) =>
        let
            valueToCompare = valuesToCompare{n},
            Nullify = List.Transform(List.Sort(List.Distinct(valuesToCompare), Order.Descending), 
                each 
                if _ = null then null
                else if _ = valueToCompare then _ 
                else if _ > 2 * valueToCompare then _ 
                else if _ < valueToCompare/2 then _
                else null
            ),
            RemoveNulls = List.RemoveItems(Nullify, {null})
        in 
            RemoveNulls,

finalValues = List.Generate(
        () => [n=0, myList = sorted, count=List.Count(sorted)],
        each [n] <= [count],
        each [n=[n]+1, myList=comparingValues([n], [myList]), count=List.Count([myList])]
    )
in
    finalValues

I orginally tried not having the count variable in the List.Generate function but it kept throwing a "not enough elements in the enumeration" error.

Works great!

@Anonymous ,

Sweet! It is amazing how much info is out there!

Nathaniel

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors