Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Zabeer
Helper I
Helper I

Remove duplicates based on multiple columns

Hello,

I need help filtering out duplicates based on multiple columns.
Sample dataset :

PODecisionAmountCreatedon
ARepair5001/1/2021
ARepair50020/5/2021
ATest50030/12/2021
BRepair50023/10/2020
BRepair12001/7/2021
BRepair60025/07/2021
CTest8001/10/2021
DRepair100016/7/2021
DRepair100016/10/2021

Expected Result:

ATest50030/12/2021
BRepair60025/07/2021
CTest8001/10/2021
DRepair100016/7/2021

Rules:
1. If decision and Amount for occurrences of a PO is same, keep the occurrence with the earliest 'createdon' --> Example : PO D
2. If either of decision or amount for multiple POs is changing, keep the occurrence with the latest 'createdon' --> Example : PO A and B
3. Keep all single occurrences of a PO --> Example : PO C

I would highly appreciate your help. Alternatively, a solution in DAX to mark the relevant rows also works.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

You can do this in two steps. First, group by PO, Decision, Amount taking the minimum over Createdon. Then group by just PO taking the maximum over Createdon using one of the methods I describe in this blog post:

Select Distinct Rows Ordered by Another Column -- Power Query Edition

Here's an example query with both steps:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUQpKLUjMLAIyTA0MgKShvqG+kYGRoVKsDlZ5IwN9U1QFIanFJXBpYwN9QyOEvBMWA4z1DQ1AKgwwVRgaQd1gjsMIM4gRpvoGSCqcEY6wgPnBACHtgmKDAUSFGbIVOFTADYkFAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [PO = _t, Decision = _t, Amount = _t, Createdon = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"PO", type text}, {"Decision", type text}, {"Amount", Int64.Type}, {"Createdon", type date}}, "en-IN"),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"PO", "Decision", "Amount"}, {{"Createdon", each List.Min([Createdon]), type nullable date}}),
    #"Grouped Rows1" = Table.Group(#"Grouped Rows", {"PO"}, {{"MaxDate", each Table.Max(_, "Createdon"), type record}}),
    #"Expanded MaxDate" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Grouped Rows1", "MaxDate", {"Decision", "Amount", "Createdon"}, {"Decision", "Amount", "Createdon"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded MaxDate",{{"Decision", type text}, {"Amount", Int64.Type}, {"Createdon", type date}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

You can do this in two steps. First, group by PO, Decision, Amount taking the minimum over Createdon. Then group by just PO taking the maximum over Createdon using one of the methods I describe in this blog post:

Select Distinct Rows Ordered by Another Column -- Power Query Edition

Here's an example query with both steps:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUQpKLUjMLAIyTA0MgKShvqG+kYGRoVKsDlZ5IwN9U1QFIanFJXBpYwN9QyOEvBMWA4z1DQ1AKgwwVRgaQd1gjsMIM4gRpvoGSCqcEY6wgPnBACHtgmKDAUSFGbIVOFTADYkFAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [PO = _t, Decision = _t, Amount = _t, Createdon = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"PO", type text}, {"Decision", type text}, {"Amount", Int64.Type}, {"Createdon", type date}}, "en-IN"),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"PO", "Decision", "Amount"}, {{"Createdon", each List.Min([Createdon]), type nullable date}}),
    #"Grouped Rows1" = Table.Group(#"Grouped Rows", {"PO"}, {{"MaxDate", each Table.Max(_, "Createdon"), type record}}),
    #"Expanded MaxDate" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Grouped Rows1", "MaxDate", {"Decision", "Amount", "Createdon"}, {"Decision", "Amount", "Createdon"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded MaxDate",{{"Decision", type text}, {"Amount", Int64.Type}, {"Createdon", type date}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"
Daryl-Lynch-Bzy
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Zabeer.  The Remove Duplicate rows feature in Power Query also works across multiple columns.   You just need to select the columns that need to be distinct.  For example, choosing "PO" and "Decision" or choosing, "PO", "Decision" and "Date".  

Please note that Power Query will keep the First Distinct result instead of Group By.  If you want to control the selection of the first Distinct, you will need to apply a Sort in the previous step. 

DarylLynchBzy_0-1642762814178.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors