Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

atpbi10
Helper I
Helper I

Remove certain string from text in the column

Hey!

How can I transform this column which contains certain string that starts with certain character which is in my case "PL"

Name
Jay Chua PL231221
John Cena
Arnold Black PL212233
Jack Don

To the one below? So essentially I need to remove all occurences of the string in the values based on condition.

Name
Jay Chua
John Cena
Arnold Black
Jack Don

Here is my attempt, where I created custom function but the code does not work as intended at all:

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("***"), null, true),
    Sheet1_Sheet = Source{[Item="Sheet1",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Sheet1_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Promoted Headers",{{"WrongName", "Name"}}),
    #"Invoked Custom Function" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Renamed Columns", {"Name",  each if Text.Start(Text.From(_),2)="PL" then "" else _})
in
    #"Invoked Custom Function"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

You can add a custom column with this formula

= Text.Combine(List.Select(Text.Split([Name], " "), each not(Text.Contains(_, "PL"))), " ")

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the string to be deleted is at the end of the text (or better,if the text to keep is before the PLxyz pattern ), as in your examples, you can create a custom column in this way.

You could eventually change "PL" with " PL" to trim the trailing space

immagine.png

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

You can add a custom column with this formula

= Text.Combine(List.Select(Text.Split([Name], " "), each not(Text.Contains(_, "PL"))), " ")

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Hey thanks for the solution, works properly. Just wanted to make sure if this is case sensitive? Like for the table in the example if I have guy named "Max Planck", he wont have his surname removed?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors