Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ZoltanBojtar
Regular Visitor

Relay PowerBI Service and onprem gateway to work with data from outside PBI Desktop

Hi All,

Is it possible to do data transformation, create measures etc by using onprem gateway to Power BI Service?

It looks like I can only do basic report editing at the online surface, but cannot do the above like in the Desktop version.

I need to figure out how the customer can give me access to his data "real time" without exposing it to the public internet, or using VPN. Gateway looks promising, but only for refresh, it looks like. Or do you know if it is possible to transfer the data with it to the Service and then somehow work with it from an external, remote Desktop? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ZoltanBojtar ,

With dataflows, we can create a collection of data from various sources, clean the data, transform it, and then load it to Power BI storage. 

After loading the data source in dataflow, we could transform data like that in power query in Power BI Desktop.

You could have a reference of this document about Dataflows in Power BI Service.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

So, I'm thinking that perhaps your customer can use a gateway coupled with a dataflow to publish their data to the service. Then perhaps you could dowload or connect live to that model via the Desktop. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks Greg, though I am afraid my experience is not yet there so that I could translate it to practical steps, but I would be happy to learn and find more info about it 🙂
In the meantime if you could share a bit more detail on how to "use a gateway coupled with a dataflow to publish their data to the service" can be done, or could share a good resource to read, I would appreciate it.

Hi @ZoltanBojtar ,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved your problem, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @ZoltanBojtar ,

With dataflows, we can create a collection of data from various sources, clean the data, transform it, and then load it to Power BI storage. 

After loading the data source in dataflow, we could transform data like that in power query in Power BI Desktop.

You could have a reference of this document about Dataflows in Power BI Service.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors