Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Relationship between date columns

Hi,

I have custom data connector...Have two dim tables for date and time....and want make relationship with them, from other Fact table....When type of colums for DateKey and TimeKey is Text, in Power BI it autodetected and created, when data loaded....but when I change it to type Date or Date/Time, relationship is disappearing and not detected in Power BI. Do you have any idea, why it happens?

1.JPG2.JPG

Event table:

AddDate = Table.AddColumn(Expand, "eventTimestampDate", each DateTime.FromText([eventTimeStamp])),
TransformDate = Table.TransformColumnTypes(AddDate, {{"eventTimestampDate", type date}}),
AddDateKey = Table.AddColumn(TransformDate , "Date_KEY", each [eventTimestampDate]),

Date table:

Lookbackdurationdays = Duration.TotalDays(CurrentDate - Duration),
DateList = List.Dates(Duration, Lookbackdurationdays + 1, #duration(1,0,0,0)),
DateTable = Table.FromList(DateList, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(DateTable,{{"Column1", type date}}),
Renamed = Table.RenameColumns(ChangedType,{{"Column1", "Date"}}),
AddDateKey = Table.AddColumn(Renamed, "Date_KEY", each [Date]),
AddDate = Table.AddColumn(AddDateKey, "Date - Date", each [Date]),

@artemus @curth 

6 REPLIES 6
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to my test, Power BI Desktop cannot automatically detect the relationships between date or time columns.

Try to click the "Autodetect" button. If the table relationships can not be detected, you need to manually add the relationships.

v-lionel-msft_1-1613617403624.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Anonymous 

you should be able to connect tables with columns that are in date-format. Ensure that both columns are setup as date-type and then connect them manually.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont want do it manually, I want Power BI auto detect them , because they already comming from connector with correct types

then try to pray 😉

Sergii24
Super User
Super User

Go to "Transform Data" section and before clicking on "Close and Apply" make sure that DateKey has Date format in both tables (not Date/Time) and that TimeKey has Time format on both of them (again, not Date/Time). Then your relationship should be correctly detected but if not, try to drag and drop the related columns of Fact and Dimensional tables. 

If a column has Date format but the related one has Date/Time format your relationship woudn't be correctly detected.

Hope it helps!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Basically from custom connector code I already have Date and Time, and I dont need transform data...but it not helping....no autodetection appears.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors