Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jaffa
Frequent Visitor

Register gateway failed on installing Personal Gateway

I am getting a 'Register gateway failed' when entering Windows credentials in the Gateway setup. I have checked and the service is running, under my Windows username. What is it trying to register with - is it an online address, and could it therefore be a proxy/firewall issue? We had to add a proxy exception to be able to pass the sign in to Power BI part, perhaps we need another to register the gateway with PowerBI.com?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
topry
Frequent Visitor

UPDATE: - I found the cause. 

By default, our firewall decrypts all traffic - disabling decryption for the gateway system resolved the error.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are having this same issue.

I have tried this on two systems, one running 2008R2, the other Windows 7 x64.

Both systems are member computers within an AD domain.

User account being used is local system and domain admin, also tried with normal user account (timed out) and one that was local system admin only.

User accounts used were in the 'Log on as a service' Local Group Policy.

The DIAHost server (Data Management Gateway Service) IS running and the account info is correct.

Have tried stopping and restarting the service - and it restarts without error.

No errors in the event logs, just event 0 in the Application log showing it starting/stopping

With what is it trying to register and how do we resolve this?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
CPeters
Regular Visitor

While I await the solution to this issue :https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/13405644-combine-enterprise-gatew...

I would like to use personal gateway.  Once installed I am unable to sign in to register.

Error: Failed to sign in. Please verify your credentials and try again.

Did not see a solution here.

I'm having exactly the same issue, when I enter my Power BI email address I get failed,  I can log into Power BI with no issues

Jeroen

This behavior may also occur if you are upgrading the personal gatewy to the latest version. Somehow when upgrading the old version is not always completely removed. You will know this has happened, if the suggested installation path changes to a folder in your user profile, instead of the Program Files folder.

To solve this, cancel the setup, make sure the Personal Gateway is no longer in the list of installed programs in Programs and Features, and delete the Power BI Personal Gateway folder from C:\Program Files. Run setup again, and it will install.

Hi,

I'm getting this behaviour, when I try to install it keeps trying to point to my user profile, I have uninstalled previous versions and deleted folders but still not having it.  

Any ideas?

Cheers

Mark

topry
Frequent Visitor

UPDATE: - I found the cause. 

By default, our firewall decrypts all traffic - disabling decryption for the gateway system resolved the error.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are having this same issue.

I have tried this on two systems, one running 2008R2, the other Windows 7 x64.

Both systems are member computers within an AD domain.

User account being used is local system and domain admin, also tried with normal user account (timed out) and one that was local system admin only.

User accounts used were in the 'Log on as a service' Local Group Policy.

The DIAHost server (Data Management Gateway Service) IS running and the account info is correct.

Have tried stopping and restarting the service - and it restarts without error.

No errors in the event logs, just event 0 in the Application log showing it starting/stopping

With what is it trying to register and how do we resolve this?

@topry Could you please share the details of how you fixed your issue?

Would love to fix this issue and be able to setup the auto-refresh scheduling capability on datasets for which I have been struggling to achieve for quite a while now! 😞 

Our issue was caused by decrypting the HTTPS traffic in our firewall. If your firewall does not decrypt HTTPS, then it may be a different problem.

I'm not actually certain what fixed it as a number of things changed here. We set up AD federation and synchronisation with Azure AD, something that was done during that process might have done it.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Personal Gateway fails to install - Personal Gateway fails to install if the user is in the Administrator group, but group policy does not allow that user to log on as a service.  At the moment, ensure the group policy allows a user to log on as a service. We’re working on a fix for this issue. 

From: https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/666367-troubleshooting-power-bi-personal-gateway

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Yes, I saw that one. I have that right in the local policy, as evidenced by the fact that the service is already running under my user. I will check with the admin to see the group policy situation, but I doubt it is different.

I think the problem is in registering the running gateway with powerbi.com, rather than a problem on my machine.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors